•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

A new Owner! What should I expect?

littlefoot

Reaction score
I recently acquired a 1990 Bronco XL, nice barn find that runs good with 100,000 miles. I have purchased it, but will not be trailering it home for several days. In the mean time I figured I would get on here and get some tips, tricks, etc... from bronco ii owners! What should i immediately swap out, What major issues should I check for, is the 4L swap necessary, etc??
Hope to get some advice or anecdotes from you all, thanks!

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
That depends on what you want out of the BII. When I found my near perfect, never been off road 1990 BII XLT, Manual locking hubs with 103,000 on it in 2015. I drove it home to AR from VA and then started replacing parts. Anything to do with brakes I replaced. It may not have needed it replaced but I did it anyway just so I had a starting point. All new plug wires, spark plugs, new valve cover gaskets the OEM gaskets leaked like crazy. Don't go cheap on the gaskets. Get to know Rockauto.com well. New shocks I wanted to stay as close to OEM as possible. So if I could get Motorcraft parts I did and I do now. I even went back with OEM shocks. I drained the transmission pan and replaced the filter with OEM ( I would not do a flush, just a drain) OEM fuel filter. I did have to replace the in tank fuel pump last week but it was the original so I did not bad about doing it. New rear end oil and chrome cover with new gasket I had 235/35/15 tires on it when I bought it with non OEM rims. I traded good rims and tires for some OEM rims and put Firestone 205/35/15 tires which were the OEM size and maker back on it. Have fun with it. They are great in the snow. I now have 137,264 miles and it runs great. Folks are always asking me if I want to sell it. I know when it was made, where it was made which Ford Dealership received it and who bought it new. It had been in the same family from March 1990 until I bought it in Aug 2015 and never more than 30 miles from the home dealership.

Dennis

littlefoot

Reaction score
That depends on what you want out of the BII. When I found my near perfect, never been off road 1990 BII XLT, Manual locking hubs with 103,000 on it in 2015. I drove it home to AR from VA and then started replacing parts. Anything to do with brakes I replaced. It may not have needed it replaced but I did it anyway just so I had a starting point. All new plug wires, spark plugs, new valve cover gaskets the OEM gaskets leaked like crazy. Don't go cheap on the gaskets. Get to know Rockauto.com well. New shocks I wanted to stay as close to OEM as possible. So if I could get Motorcraft parts I did and I do now. I even went back with OEM shocks. I drained the transmission pan and replaced the filter with OEM ( I would not do a flush, just a drain) OEM fuel filter. I did have to replace the in tank fuel pump last week but it was the original so I did not bad about doing it. New rear end oil and chrome cover with new gasket I had 235/35/15 tires on it when I bought it with non OEM rims. I traded good rims and tires for some OEM rims and put Firestone 205/35/15 tires which were the OEM size and maker back on it. Have fun with it. They are great in the snow. I now have 137,264 miles and it runs great. Folks are always asking me if I want to sell it. I know when it was made, where it was made which Ford Dealership received it and who bought it new. It had been in the same family from March 1990 until I bought it in Aug 2015 and never more than 30 miles from the home dealership.

Dennis
This is awesome info, thanks so much!! I'm in Canada so you've definitely reassured me on my purchase by mentioning that it is great in the snow!! I definitely plan to replace all the brakes, fluids and filters, guess i'll get to those valve cover gaskets too!
I've got the part-time 4x4 model, this might be a dumb question but does having the 4x4 on/off button mean I don't need locking hubs? I currently have the OEM rims that just look like locking hubs. (This is my first 4x4 vehicle so locking hubs are new too me)

thanks again!

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
It means they will lock automatically when you push the 4x4 button to go into 4 wheel drive and you do not need to get out of the BII and lock them in when you pull the shifter (you don't have a shifter) in the cab from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive. I did not want the automatic 4x4 button on the dash. I have a A4LD automatic transmission with a BW1354M transfer case and a 3:73LS rear end with a Dana 35 front axle.

Dennis