•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

A4ld flushing..........

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I'm going to post this for the folks like myself who don't have ready access to an extra set of hands (ie a helper). After determining which line was the return (the upper on the trans) I followed it to the cooler (mine uses the radiator and has an additional cooler in front of the radiator). I then put a "T" in the line and installed a gas shut off valve off the T. Now it is easy, start the engine, drain a quart or two, shut the valve, turn off the engine, re-fill tranny and repeat. I ran 15 and a half quarts before I was satisfied with the fluid color. One set of hands and fairly clean.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
Thanks for the post. Great idea.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Wouldn't it make more sense to just drop the pan cover and do it that way, than fuss with a 1 quart at a time waste of fluid? I'd think that doing it the way you did would be a huge waste of transmission fluid as you aren't draining old fluid after the 1st quart, you now have nice new fluid you are throwing away with each quart afterwards.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
There are two ways to remove ALL the old fluid and contaminates from an A4LD, 1....remove transmission and torque converter (no drain plug) from the vehicle and completely disassemble the transmission....disassemble torque converter (or drill hole to drain). Pull valve body and disassemble (drains fluid), blow out the radiator and cooler to clear them, or.....2.....flush transmission (while operating) using 1 1/2 to 2 times the amount of fluid the transmission holds or until clear/clean fluid is noted.

Dropping the pan only replaces about 3 quarts of the total fluid amount (10+ quarts depending on an added trans cooler)....dropping and draining the valve body will get another 2 quarts or so. Still leaves half of the old oil still in the system. Yes, it's easier to do what you suggest but you aren't replacing ALL the fluid and you certainly aren't flushing the system. Doing things right often costs more, but, you won't have to do it over any time soon.