•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

A4LD problem.....

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
When I got this this B2 (1989 4x4 auto) the trans shifted oddly ( hard 1-2 and 2-3 shifts). I flushed the trans and made sure it was good clean fluid at the proper level. Discovered the vacuum shift module was allowing trans fluid into the intake so replaced the module. Then the trans wouldn't shift out of 1st unless the throttle was eased up on and then it was a hard shift (this all sounds familiar so far eh?). All the other shifts are normal. Dropped the transfer case and pulled the governor (it was a bit stiff but not stuck). Polished all the surfaces with a used 2000 grit sanding belt until the plunger worked smoothly. Put it all back together and it "seems" to shift a bit better but still not right.

What is my next step? Rebuild/rebuilt valve body? Any suggestions?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
You could try a valve body, but given its age may as well rebuild it and put upgraded parts in it. The A4LD has to be one of the worst transmissions ever built given the huge number of failures. Trouble is the Bronco 2 is only worth a few hundred bucks, and a transmission rebuild to have it done right is a couple thousand bucks.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Yeah, I'm willing to do the cost of a valve body but they want almost $2K to rebuild the tranny. It doesn't slip or anything else, just the odd shifting and that seems to be getting better after I put a container of Lube Gard in it yesterday and then drove it 150 miles today. I'll probably put a couple of hundred more miles on it and then do a fluid and filter change and maybe a re-built valve body.

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
A very old wise man once told me to never do a transmission flush on an old transmission that is working well. Always do a fluid drain. Drain all the fluid you can, install a new filter fill up with new fluid and move on. That the flush will brake crude loose that has built up in the transmission over the years and plug up all kinds of things. Doing a flush from the very start is one thing but doing it a 100K in is just asking for trouble.

Dennis

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I've heard that one myself.....my flush is just a "complete" change of fluid (ie fluid run through until clean fluid is seen).

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
A very old wise man once told me to never do a transmission flush on an old transmission that is working well. Always do a fluid drain. Drain all the fluid you can, install a new filter fill up with new fluid and move on. That the flush will brake crude loose that has built up in the transmission over the years and plug up all kinds of things. Doing a flush from the very start is one thing but doing it a 100K in is just asking for trouble.

Dennis
I was told that by my transmission shop too. A shop also informed me some vehicles and I assume newer ones have a one way valve in them that prevents you from being able to do a flush at all, and I guess the 08 Explorer that I recently purchased is one of those as well. I had no idea if the transmission was ever serviced in my Explorer so I just had the pan dropped and fluid drained/refilled and new filter, that way...seems to work just fine that way. I do need to do the same on my 88 Bronco 2 as I haven't done it since the transmission was rebuilt in 2016.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I am playing with the modulator adjustment currently and I've made two "minor" adjustments so far and it seems to be shifting better. I'll just keep adjusting until it doesn't get any better and then I'll live with it for awhile. I've got way more important stuff to get done before a tranny or even a valve body re-build.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Time for an update to this thread......took out the governor and cleaned it up (it was a bit sticky) re-installed and it was "better" but not right. I replaced the valve body with a refurbished one and that fixed a number of shifting oddities but I lost OD and the 1-2 and 2-1 shifts still weren't "right". Replaced the governor with a refurbished one from Cobra transmission (came with a 35mm weight) and now the 1-2 and 2-1 shifts are the way they should be. Dropped the valve body and replace the 3-4 shift solenoid with a new one (after making sure I had a good 12 volts to them). No luck (the old solenoid read 23 ohms like it should). Is there any way to check/ verify the ground from the ECM that commands the shift? Any other things in the valve body that could cause the OD problem? Thanks for any help/ideas.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I do believe I have found my 3-4 shift problem (or lack of). The shift cable has never been "right" so I tried to adjust it with the procedure for the same general year of F150. By being "very" careful of the needle position it will shift thru all four gears, up and down. I believe it's still off by a hair. Anyone know the exact procedure for a column mounted auto cable adjustment?

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Took off from a stop sign the other day and heard a "bang" and I coasted to the side of the road......after a bit of playing I found that the vehicle will move in reverse and first gear. If you manually shift it will go into second and third....no OD, and when you come to a stop it will not move until you go back to neutral and then to first and repeat the manual shifting. Bummer, but I've got a rebuilt trans on order with a shop. As soon as they give me a date I'll load it up and haul it to them. It won't be worth the money I'm going to have in it but I just like it.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Well, got my B2 back from the trans shop with a rebuilt trans installed (Certified Transmissions) and the next morning (below freezing) it wouldn't shift out of low automatically until it warmed up a bit. Took it back and they said "no problem". Got it back again this morning.....they said the governor was sticking, they polished it up and said it was good.....4 degrees above zero......took off headed home and it shifts sooooo smooth. I like it.....worth the money. Hopefully it will last a good long while.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
The best thing you can do is add a cooler and keep up on the maintenance.

I've done a few automatics in my day... but anymore I'm just going to pay someone in the know to build whatever I need.

Glad it all worked out...

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
The vehicle had an external cooler when I got it. I doubt very seriously if I will run thru the warranty mileage before the time limit (18 month, 18K miles). I've had the vehicle over two years and only put 5K miles on it. It's a local run around sort of vehicle.