•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

A4LD torque converter or engine issue ?

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
Jerry

Did you install it yourself? If so was it hard to do? I see it has O-rings for seals, does the transmission pan need to be dropped to lower the fluid to install? How much trans fluid will drain out if you do not remove the pan? Could you explain a little more about the bracket issue you spoke about in your post

Thanks

Dennis

Dennis

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Jerry

Did you install it yourself? If so was it hard to do? I see it has O-rings for seals, does the transmission pan need to be dropped to lower the fluid to install? How much trans fluid will drain out if you do not remove the pan? Could you explain a little more about the bracket issue you spoke about in your post

Thanks

Dennis
It's a simple swap. There is an electrical connector that has the standard clips and the speedometer cable hooked to the VSS. The sensor is held on by one 11mm bolt. It is actually in the transfer case right next to the rear driveshaft hookup. I didn't lose but a couple of drops of fluid doing the swap. The sensor is high up on the transfer case.

I did it this way:
Clean up around the sensor, mine had what looked to be years and years of caked on dirt that you don't want getting into the transfer case.

Pulled the clip holding in the speedo cable, it came out mangled which told me I did it wrong but the new sensor has a new clip on it so no harm there. The speedo cable comes right out after the clip is removed. I don't know if there is way to manipulate the clip and cable so you don't mangle the clip, but my guess is that there is. I'm thinking that maybe you push the clip in and pull the cable out. Pushing in may spread open the clip to allow the cable to come out.

Next I unbolted the sensor leaving the electrical connector attached so i could better reach the clips. You reuse the bolt, so keep it handy.

I used two picks to spread the clips on the electrical connector slightly as I pushed the connector off.

Using a pick I removed the C clip holding the speedometer gear on. Take note of the direction the clip faces. From memory it is flat side towards the transfer case.

Install:
Speedo gear on first. Remember the C-clip! This helps you with the cable install below.

Speedo cable next, get the drive cable aligned in the VSS and push the cable in past the clip. The tip went in easy and the rest took a little effort. Turn the speedo gear if needed to get the drive cable lined up.

Put the VSS in the transfer case and tighten the bolt down. The bracket bends as you tighten bolt down, at first it looks like wrong bracket but it's fine.

Plug in the electrical connector.

There's a ton of room to work there and right out in the open. I didn't even jack up the BII.

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Jerry

Thanks will give it a try when it arrives. It shipped so it should be here in a few days.

Dennis

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Jerry

Done. The VSS arrived this am and it is now installed. A couple of points.

A: No you have to mangle the clip to get the speed-0 cable out. Pushing it in does nothing for it or at least that I found.

B: I broke one of the electrical connection clips off. It was like peanut brittle, so I wire tied the electrical cable to the speed-o cable and I am sure it is not pulling out.

C. I did an ohms test on the old VSS and it was still good. Showed about 225. My Chiltons book says anything between 190 and 250 that the VSS is still good so I am not sure if any benefits will be had by exchanging it out. Did you run a ohms test on your old one and see what it read? You were right in that just a few drops of trans fluid drained out. I have not driven it yet so will post if I notice any difference.

Thanks Again for the Tip

Dennis

Last edited:

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I just measured it, 209 ohms.

Dorman makes new pigtails; https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-72966-645-213.aspx If you want one.

I really dislike those clips. The ABS sensor in the diff, that connector just fell apart by touching it. I replaced the connector. I also had to replace the connector for the blower motor for the same reason. And the fuel tank connector, same thing, clips broke.

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Jerry

So your VSS was good as well? I hope I get the same results as you with my MPG, if not at least I have another new part on the BII. I kept the old VSS just incase I ever need to replace it.

Dennis

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Jerry

So your VSS was good as well? I hope I get the same results as you with my MPG, if not at least I have another new part on the BII. I kept the old VSS just incase I ever need to replace it.

Dennis
I'd say that it "tested" good. The difference in the shifting and lockup would say that it was bad.

Before it would shift too soon and there would be lots of converter slip at slight throttle application. Going uphill it I'd get converter slip and it would rev up and feel weak. Now it just pulls in gear and the rpms match the acceleration. It actually feels like there a lot more torque in the engine.

I guess it could just be coincidental, maybe a bad connection at the VSS that swapping in the new one fixed. i didn't pull the battery cable so it isn't like it got an ECM reset or anything like that.

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
I will report back on Friday after I drive it into town and Back.

Dennis