•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Adding an Automatic Transmission Temp Gauge - A4LD

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I'd like to put a temperature gauge in my 88 B2 for the transmission. Is the A4LD automatic of course. Has anyone done so, any places to get the components to do so, and how do I tap into a cooler line to do this? I have an external cooler on the transmission, and thinking of putting the sensor closer to the external cooler for ease of access plus the lines up there at the cooler are rubber so it would be pretty easy to tap into.

Is there a kit available to do this, and if so where could I find a descent one?

removebe4flight

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I'd like to put a temperature gauge in my 88 B2 for the transmission. Is the A4LD automatic of course. Has anyone done so, any places to get the components to do so, and how do I tap into a cooler line to do this? I have an external cooler on the transmission, and thinking of putting the sensor closer to the external cooler for ease of access plus the lines up there at the cooler are rubber so it would be pretty easy to tap into.

Is there a kit available to do this, and if so where could I find a descent one?
Looking to do the same thing.

buck119fa

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I just did this on C5, the temp gauge should come with a sensor and a fitting to go into the pan, need to pull the pan, drill the right size hole and weld the fitting to the pan. Or get fitting nuts (2) and sealer and just use those to attach to the pan and seal it good.
or
On My trans left side right above the pan near the bell housing there are 2 plugs, I used the lowest plug hole for my fitting, works perfectly and no holes in the pan. Easy wiring, 1 switched 12v, 1 ground, 1 wire to the gauge, tap into your headlight switch for the lighting

I used an Equus trans temp gauge, bought it thru Summit racing, I know O'reilly auto has them also.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I just did this on C5, the temp gauge should come with a sensor and a fitting to go into the pan, need to pull the pan, drill the right size hole and weld the fitting to the pan. Or get fitting nuts (2) and sealer and just use those to attach to the pan and seal it good.
or
On My trans left side right above the pan near the bell housing there are 2 plugs, I used the lowest plug hole for my fitting, works perfectly and no holes in the pan. Easy wiring, 1 switched 12v, 1 ground, 1 wire to the gauge, tap into your headlight switch for the lighting

I used an Equus trans temp gauge, bought it thru Summit racing, I know O'reilly auto has them also.
Sounds pretty simple. Do you happen to have any pictures of your setup? I have a 3 gauge Equus gauge pod, and a separate gauge for the tranny temp. I have yet to install any of them, but I'd really like to do so here soon. Tired of the idiot gauges and idiot lights LOL.

buck119fa

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
well... I built a whole new dash set up in my BII so I'm not much help there.