•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Advice on El cheapo lift

Goober

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hey folks, I'm looking at purchasing the lift kit in the link ... I bought the truck dirt cheap and I don't want to end up paying 3 grand for a 700$ truck by dumping parts in it. However, I'd like it to be a little more capable. I'm not looking to go mud bogging or rock crawling, but be able to get around a little better when heading to the boonies to fish and camp.

My question is this: with this lift kit (2" suspension), do I need anything else? Do I need to extend steering knuckle/brakelines/rad mounts or anything?

Thanks in advance, I've already learned a ton from this site

The link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0113AA906/ref=pd_gwm_simh_0?pf_rd_p=cc000f63-21ee-4dc4-b9b6-9082ebacae63&pf_rd_s=blackjack-personal-1&pf_rd_t=Gateway&pf_rd_i=mobile&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=S4M8BZY5SV5855DY6T5Q&pf_rd_r=S4M8BZY5SV5855DY6T5Q&pf_rd_p=cc000f63-21ee-4dc4-b9b6-9082ebacae63

Last edited:

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hey folks, I'm looking at purchasing the lift kit in the link ... I bought the truck dirt cheap and I don't want to end up paying 3 grand for a 700$ truck by dumping parts in it. However, I'd like it to be a little more capable. I'm not looking to go mud bogging or rock crawling, but be able to get around a little better when heading to the boonies to fish and camp.

My question is this: with this lift kit (2" suspension), do I need anything else? Do I need to extend steering knuckle/brakelines/rad mounts or anything?

Thanks in advance, I've already learned a ton from this site

The link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0113AA906/ref=pd_gwm_simh_0?pf_rd_p=cc000f63-21ee-4dc4-b9b6-9082ebacae63&pf_rd_s=blackjack-personal-1&pf_rd_t=Gateway&pf_rd_i=mobile&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=S4M8BZY5SV5855DY6T5Q&pf_rd_r=S4M8BZY5SV5855DY6T5Q&pf_rd_p=cc000f63-21ee-4dc4-b9b6-9082ebacae63

The rear, technically you should not reuse the U-bolts so you would want to get new U-bolts and nuts and washers.

If you have the original driveshaft it might not handle the new lift. Mine worked fine until I put a 2" lift on and the driveshaft sounded like a blender full of rocks.

For the front, a spacer lift will mess with camber and caster. So you need a an alignment with caster/camber bushings installed. In my case I also needed adjustable radius arm bushings to get enough caster to get the steering where it was no longer super twitchy.

in the end my $100 lift cost me about $600.

Goober

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
The rear, technically you should not reuse the U-bolts so you would want to get new U-bolts and nuts and washers.

If you have the original driveshaft it might not handle the new lift. Mine worked fine until I put a 2" lift on and the driveshaft sounded like a blender full of rocks.

For the front, a spacer lift will mess with camber and caster. So you need a an alignment with caster/camber bushings installed. In my case I also needed adjustable radius arm bushings to get enough caster to get the steering where it was no longer super twitchy.

in the end my $100 lift cost me about $600.
Fair enough. I believe the loft in question came with new u-bolts. What do you mean by the drive shifter couldn't handle the lift? I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but a total dummy as far as steering and suspension goes. Are you saying the lift itself puts more load on the drives haft? Or was the more load because you lifted it and used bigger tires?
My brother from another mother is next in line to being the shop foreman where he works, and I know he'd help me out as far as making it work (problem being he's 400 miles away and I don't trust this thing on the interstate)
Next best thing is my boss builds hobby stock and has a huge shop with the works and he lets me use his shop.

I guess what I'm getting at is, I totally understand that cheap is rarely the way to go... But I bought this truck with rocks essentially and can't justify dumping money into it... It's more of a stress relief hobby lol... What's the cheapest way to lift these trucks (including any extra work that goes into it?)?

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
When you lift the distance increases between the diff and transfer case. In my case it stretched the driveshaft to the limit. You may be fine depending on a number of factors, your DS, how much lift you actually get, etc... Take a look at your DS, if has regular U-joints in it than you are probably going to be ok with the lift.

wend3lrt

Reaction score
Vehicle
Bronco ii
The Skyjacker basic lift kit is dependable and not too pricey. I know 4wheelonline carries skyjacker lift products.