•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

anyone use wheel spacers?

littlefoot

Reaction score
Curious to see/hear any bronco owners who have widened out with wheel spacers? I know its a heated subject on whether they should be used or not but widening out the track seems like a good idea on these tipsy vehicles. any advice?

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Put me in the "not a fan" side of the wheel spacer debate.

I also believe there is a limit to how wide one should go. The further away from center of the wheel to rotor mounting surface... it starts adding stress to the wheel bearings and suspension parts... and it just plain wears stuff out quicker.

If I wanted to add a bit to the width of the stance... I would do it with a bit different wheel backspace. It is more expensive to buy wheels then wheel spacers... but it's just an all around better way to go about it.

Buckup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I don't see any difference in the potential wear-ability of parts with either method of widening the stance, it creates the same longer moment arm. I added 1.5" billet aluminum spacers on my 1989. I read an article on the rollover lawsuits, and it said the engineers recommended widening the stance my 3 inches, but Ford didn't want to do it. So I just listened to the engineers. There was a noticeable difference. But it just pointed out the need for new sway bar bushings. I went with Poly.

Now my springs feel too soft and I'd like to upgrade with some stiffer springs all around. Trying to find out if Explorer or Ranger springs will be stiffer, and by how much. Anyone know?

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I don't see any difference in the potential wear-ability of parts with either method of widening the stance, it creates the same longer moment arm. I added 1.5" billet aluminum spacers on my 1989. I read an article on the rollover lawsuits, and it said the engineers recommended widening the stance my 3 inches, but Ford didn't want to do it. So I just listened to the engineers. There was a noticeable difference. But it just pointed out the need for new sway bar bushings. I went with Poly.

Now my springs feel too soft and I'd like to upgrade with some stiffer springs all around. Trying to find out if Explorer or Ranger springs will be stiffer, and by how much. Anyone know?
I agree with the wear factor being the same... be it spacers or different wheels. The difference is more points of failure with spacers.