•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Axle swaps for a 1988 Ford Bronco II XLT

sgtmegull

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Being new to the Ford Bronco II Corral Forum, I am slowly beginning to figure out what basic questions to ask. I have located a 1995 Ford Explorer 8.8 Rear Axle Assembly with ABS, Posi-Trac, and 4.10 gears. What I would like to know is if there are Dana 35 TTB Front Axle Assemblies with ABS and 4.10 gears, because I am not finding any. However, I have found 3.73's. Also, are there certain Dana 44-spec components that will work in a Dana 35 TTB Front Axle Assembly, because that I saw that on Wikipedia of all places.

Thank you fellow Bronco II Corral Forum Members in advance for your advice and expertise in helping me out with my inquiries.

dirtcowboy

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
what the hell

I'll take a shot.

I don't think there are factory 4.11 gears for D35 'sploders. However Randys has them, the ring and pinion in stock, no ABS for front axles, you wouldn't want it anyway. I ALWAYS bypass the ABS when I install the Explorer 8.8s. So to clarify, get the 3.73 axle and swap gears.

https://www.randysworldwide.com/diff-wizard/?diffyear=1994&make=Ford&model=Explorer&drivetype=Front+Diff+-+4WD&diffid=239

The D44 parts are from 1980-1996 full size Broncos and F 150's and include the knuckle, spindle, bearings and races as well as the hub and rotor. There is some minor drilling and reaming and the tech section has a fool proof primer on how to do it. The benefit is better bearing spacing and loading. The down side is you have to either re-drill the stock 8.8 axles to the full size 5x5 1/2 bolt pattern or do as I do and get new axles from Dutchman Fab for about $300 bux, more or less. One more thing, if you get the D44 bits from a junk yard make sure to note the year of the vehicle they take it from so you can get the correct replacement parts should you go with new bits as I do. Stay away from the ?1987? Bronco or F150 as they use the "top hat" style hub, bad juju.

That help?

Last edited: