•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

B2 won't crank with key but will on solenoid

Craig_S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco ll
I bought an 89 B2 for $100 earlier this year and I'm just getting around to planning the build. Before the engine swap I want to figure out why I have this problem. The engine won't crank with the key, but if I do the old Ford "solenoid bump" (short a screwdriver across the terminals), it'll turn over and fire up. I'm assuming I have a problem with the S wire, correct? Any advice on what to look for? Pics of your 89/90 solenoids, etc might be all I need.

Thanks,
Craig

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Bad ignition switch perhaps......I had a 77' F250 that had that same problem and it was the key switch.

Craig_S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco ll
Thanks, I'll check that.

jsp1946

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Did you figure this one out? I had the same problem, only 7 volts at the signal wire. Turned out to be a very nasty, PS fluid coated connection on the engine bay harness.

Craig_S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco ll
Thanks for replying. No I did not figure it out. I ended up pulling the driveline and interior out to start my build and just counted on putting a new ignition switch in it when I get to that point. Hopefully that takes care of it!

Thanks, Craig

darkd0r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II XLS
Suspension Style
4wd
1980's ford ignition switches are notorious for coming apart with varied symptoms.
The '80's headlight switch (which contains the circuit breaker) is also a known weakness. Causes the breaker to trip with the high beams, and as time passes, with just low beams. Has happened to my F150, Lincoln Town Car , and an '83 Mustang. Solution is to wire headlights through a relay so that switch only carries the current of the relay coil. Gives you brighter headlights, too.