•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Better cross bars for roof

Kawika7725

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco ll
I’m trying to look for thicker crossbars to be able to install kayak mounts on my roof but the crossbars I have are too thin and I can’t find any bars that are able to mount onto the rails. Anyone have any suggestions? 1989 bronco ll

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
I've made rails and mounts for the gutter on my ranger. Its not too hard to do if you have a welder.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I would think you could make the mounts fit to the cross bars with a bit of back yard engineering.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Not many Bronco 2's had the roof rack option I don't think. I've never seen one in person, but I don't think they were much for carrying anything at all. I thought someone had mentioned somewhere like 150 pounds, then again its a short narrow wheelbase vehicle, so adding weight up top isn't a good idea.

Only thing I could think of would be to modify the current cross rails you have with some angle iron or square tubing maybe? Use the current mounting brackets and fabricate new cross rails. I can't think of any vehicles that use the same rack system either so trying to get some extra parts to mess with would be a pain too.

May have to completely re-invent the wheel with a new roof rail system and build your own kayak mounts yourself....just make sure you seal all the holes in the roof really well.

86isuzu

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Suspension Style
4wd
I used a set of universal cross bars from Harbor Freight I think it was...
It worked ok. Looked a little goofy, because I couldn't find anything to work with the factory bars either.