•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Big problems

MX174

Reaction score
What I have is a 90 Bronco II. Ive put a full size d44 in it and a 9" in the rear. I have everything finished except the brakes. Ive ran all new lines and put a new master cylinder on it. When you bleed the brakes with the engine off it has good pressure on the pedal. Once you start it the pedal goes to the floor and I dont have any brakes. They have been bled numerous times. Any ideas? :dunno:

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Sounds like something in the system has too much give to it. Did you adjust your drum brakes? Adjust them out until they drag, then back off just enough that they don't anymore.

MX174

Reaction score
I havent adjusted them yet but i will try that. Thanks.

lil red

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
no, pump them and have somebody watch under the truck
my truck had that same problem, and it was a leak in a line, or mabe a bad booster
and if it does start to feel better, it was just that your brake cylinder was in too far and you just adjusted it out to the drum

High Desert Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
You also have to realize that the D44 and 9" use bigger brakes than the stock bronco II. Larger piston and large wheel cylinder. This could be part of your problem.

Also check that you haven't swapped caliper sides and have the bleeders facing down.

You got to realize that you might not be able to press the pedal hard enough to find out if there is air in the system but the power booster can provide the additional effort to compress the air in the system.

Worse comes to worse either use a pair of hose pinch off pliers or needle nose vise grips and clamp down on the rubber brake hoses one at a time, than try again with the vehicle running and see if (with the hose clamped in either the front left, front right or rear) if your pedal is good.

chico4554

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
im having this problem as well right now. I swapped in a 44 front. The pedal is good when bleeding but when i drive the truck, the pedal goes down far. The brakes do work though. The brakes were fine when i started the swap, so i dont think its the drums in the rear. Ive bled them a few times already.