•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Big Red MKII

D'cheat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Well, WAY back in the day, I went by the handle of Pegalis. I had a big ol BII named aptly, Big Red. *see avatar*
After that rig, I admit, I went to the dark side. I began to build race cars. Road race etc. Then I built a fullsize 1993 Chevy Blazer for wheelin. Dana 60, 14 bolt, 454 v8 and 40" tires.
Sold it so I could buy a little 4-banger to save on gas. :(
Raced Legends cars for a while
Now, I have the wheelin' itch again. There is no ointment for the wheelin' itch, So back to my roots.
I was driving around and found a BII for sale for $200.
Needless to say, it was in my yard the next day :)

I sourced a 351w and c6, and got to work.
First thing was the removal of the entire front clip. I drilled out the 50 some odd spot welds with a 5/16 bit, snapped the f-ing rusty ass body mount bolts and took the clip off. I then scratched my head. I knew under all the tubes, wires and grease there was a 2.8l v6. Man, the things ford had to do to make the govt. happy.
On the plus side, due to the 3 inches, Yes THREE inches of grease over everything, all the bolts and connectors came out with out any effort. When I was done taking the boat anchor out, it looked like I just given an elephant a prostate check. I was covered in thick, chunky grease up to my shoulders.

The next day, I rented a pressure washer and spent 6 hours cleaning.
Wow..
Recalling the days of my old rig, I went by the numbers and started ordering the conversion parts.
L&L motor mounts, Dual sump oil pan from Ford Racing, Oil filter relocation kit, stand alone ignition, Truck Avenger carb, etc etc...

I ran into a few minor problems.
Mainly, the L&L motor mounts set a 351 a little low in the bay. So low in fact that you dont need a body lift to fit the C6 in the transmission tunnel.
Down side to this, is that now the oil pan will smack the passanger side TTB mount Hard. The only way to use these motor mounts is to do a solid axle swap and remove the brackets. No biggie seeing that ill be putting in some monster axles.
So, the engine and trans is in. I just put a new cam and lifters in today. Soon my axles will arrive from the east coast.
Unimog 406 portal axles :)
Ill be running 44" tires and the least amount of lift that I can muster. There will be very little fender left by the time Im done.

Thats about it right now..
Ill get my website up soon with pictures
http://www.farbeyondriven.net
*grin*

hope to update you guys often!

D'cheat

D'cheat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Here she is all stock looking.

My axles :)

The new heart beating under, and out of, the hood.

ZMan

TOTM Coordinator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford,Jeep
Engine Size
4.0l,3.0l (soon to be 302),5.2l
very cool, this will be a fun build to watch.

kunar

Odd One
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
yeah, im really diggin the portals. cant wait to see when its done!

Sunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Very nice! You and Punisher should get together, lol.

Branman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Looks good...

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Man that is awesome. Can't wait to see how this thing will turn out. Are you building for any specific purpose like a rock crawler or mud bogger?

D'cheat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Not enough mud out here for that application. But what we do have are Rocks. From the Rubicon to Moonrocks. So this will be a hardcore crawler. I may try to give this some semblance of street legality. MoonRocks Off Road Park is all of 10 minutes from my house. I would rather putter up the highway to the trail than strap her to a trailer. *shrugs* Its worth a shot.

Update on some of the other goings on with Big Red MK2.
Ill be posting some more pictures as this moves along, but the front clip will be a one piece unit. Hood, fenders and grill will all come up as one chunk aided with lift gate struts. The air scoop, aka bug catcher, will poke out quite a ways. Ill be removing the inner fender structure, and make the radiator support a stand alone unit.
Suspension, front and rear will be a 1-link, aka grader ball, suspension. Its the same setup that a unimog uses.
ORI struts will be used in place of coils or coilovers.
Im getting 2 steering unimog axles, so I will have rear steer.

Hell yea' If Punisher is ever in the area, we will have to go wheelin.

Today at lunch, I sketched down all the crap that needs to be done to get her up and running. Then I put prices next to each item and add them up. Halfway into the total, I find it best to not think about it and toss the list in the trash. The zero's start clocking up quickly with a custom rig, ill tell you that. :icon_bounceblue:

D'cheat

D'cheat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302 v8
FYI: Unimog 406/416/419 axles *if you can find them* Are rated at 4.5 tons, and have better clearance than a D28. They are just a tick wider than a fullsize truck axle, some have disk brakes, all have factory air lockers. Axle shafts are 1 3/4" thick and they cost less than a wrecking yard Dana 60.
Keep that in mind if any come up for sale
Hell, I got 2 steering mog axles for $2,200. Build a dana or rockwell for that. :D

Sunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
FYI: Unimog 406/416/419 axles *if you can find them* Are rated at 4.5 tons, and have better clearance than a D28. They are just a tick wider than a fullsize truck axle, some have disk brakes, all have factory air lockers. Axle shafts are 1 3/4" thick and they cost less than a wrecking yard Dana 60.
Keep that in mind if any come up for sale
Hell, I got 2 steering mog axles for $2,200. Build a dana or rockwell for that. :D
Nice. :icon_thumby:

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
awesome. subscribed.

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM