•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Brake Caliper Retaining Pin Keeps Coming Out

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Ok, so shortly after getting my 84 Bronco 2, I had a weird scraping noise up front. Found the caliper pin on the passenger side caliper on the top was about to fall out. Pounded it back in. Then had some work done on the front end for an alignment and bearings, and the shop replaced both of the pins on that side as the top one was just about to fall out again. Now fast forward a couple months, and on my way home from work or to work this morning haven't figured out when, that pin fell completely out again.

Why do the pins keep falling out? These are brand new pins, and I have to drive them in to seat them as usual, why do they keep coming out?

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have to admit I'm stumped. My pins have always been pretty tight and I've never had one fall out. I'm sure there is an issue beyond the pin itself. Is it just the passenger side?

I wonder if you could drill a hole through the ends and put a cotter pin through it.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Its just the top pin on the passenger side. Last time it happened I caught it before it fell out and just pounded it back in. This time it was completely gone. Then when it was at the tire shop they said the pin was about 1/2 way out and replaced both pins on that side so the pin that was in there was only a couple months old. The pins on the driver side have never backed out.

I can't think of anything that would cause the pins to back out, but I'm kind of thinking about putting a screw or something through them to keep them from backing out. Kind of un-nerving taking a wheel off to investigate a vibration and finding one of these pins completely missing, funny thing is I never head any noise when it decided to leave the vehicle. Figured something like that would at least hit something under the truck on its way out and notice a clunk noise or similar noise at least.

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
Its just the top pin on the passenger side. Last time it happened I caught it before it fell out and just pounded it back in. This time it was completely gone. Then when it was at the tire shop they said the pin was about 1/2 way out and replaced both pins on that side so the pin that was in there was only a couple months old. The pins on the driver side have never backed out.

I can't think of anything that would cause the pins to back out, but I'm kind of thinking about putting a screw or something through them to keep them from backing out. Kind of un-nerving taking a wheel off to investigate a vibration and finding one of these pins completely missing, funny thing is I never head any noise when it decided to leave the vehicle. Figured something like that would at least hit something under the truck on its way out and notice a clunk noise or similar noise at least.
Could the caliper and knuckle be too warn down and it keeps slipping out?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Could the caliper and knuckle be too warn down and it keeps slipping out?

At 30 years old and the lack of services by the previous owner that wouldn't surprise me. Any idea on cost of replacement parts?

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
At 30 years old and the lack of services by the previous owner that wouldn't surprise me. Any idea on cost of replacement parts?
Remaned caliper is $17 at autozone, not sure about then other half it connect to, you would probably have to find one off a used truck, maybe find the newest one you can.

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Remaned caliper is $17 at autozone, not sure about then other half it connect to.

Not exactly sure what that other part is even called LOL. I know I can get a caliper, but its that other part I would be more concerned with trying to get. Guess I can look at the pick a part for that as well. Hell at this rate I should just buy a whole parts truck LOL, problem is I'm sure they would want a fortune for it. They had a really nice eddie bauer one in there last time, that it must have had a massive engine or tranny failure to be sitting in there, body and interior were in mint condition.

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
Not exactly sure what that other part is even called LOL. I know I can get a caliper, but its that other part I would be more concerned with trying to get. Guess I can look at the pick a part for that as well. Hell at this rate I should just buy a whole parts truck LOL, problem is I'm sure they would want a fortune for it. They had a really nice eddie bauer one in there last time, that it must have had a massive engine or tranny failure to be sitting in there, body and interior were in mint condition.
Did a search on car-parts.com which searches salvage yards. It says a couple near you have some.

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?userSearch=int&userPID=1000&userLocation=USA&userIMS=&userInterchange=>=CA_&userSide=&userDate=1984&userDate2=1984&dbModel=27.5.1.1&userModel=Ford Bronco II&dbPart=515.2&userPart=Steering Knuckle (see also Knee & Strut)&sessionID=600000000000000000200439482&userPreference=zip&userZip=83617&userLat=43.9488&userLong=-116.5537&userIntSelect=204536&userUID=0&userBroker=&userPage=1&iKey=

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Thanks. I also found and idea about installing a screw in the end into the center rubber part, putting a washer over the screw and then screwing it into that rubber center to hold the pins in. Someone else mentioned something similar as well, I may try doing that then here when the weather straightens out so I can work outside without gloves on I'll install new calipers.

Jay'94

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 1987
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 5.8
A screw in rubber to retain the pin? That just sounds like bad rigging to me. I once had repeated pin problems, new pins no more problem. After a while I had it again. I was also having sticking calipers, so instead of being cheap and rebuilding them, I bought new calipers. When I did new calipers I also did new pins. No more problems. I also use some silicone grease on my pins every time! Some say yes, some say no! I asked a Brother of mine whose been a hotrodder, builder, machinist, fabricator longer than I been alive. he says use it. He also gave me the end all cure all for wheel bearing problems. So I use the dang grease on the pins after i clean them, not with any solvent. Brake Cleaner, Carb cleaner, etcc... just deteriorates the rubber. Just wipe em clean!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
^^Pins were about 3 months old when the top one decided to exit the vehicle again. So the pins aren't the problem. The pin I have in now seems to be staying where I put it so far. I kind of wonder if the idiots at the shop installed the pin upside down so the little tabs that are supposed to be on to were on the bottom therefore nothing to keep it from sliding out over time. Been about a week now and the pin hasn't moved so far so good.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The pins aren't symmetrical. You would have to try VERY hard to install them upside down.

The cotter pin idea sounds the best so far.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
The pins aren't symmetrical. You would have to try VERY hard to install them upside down.

The cotter pin idea sounds the best so far.
If it starts backing out again I'll do the cotter pin idea. So far since Monday it hasn't moved so maybe I got a good one this time LOL.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have also gotten them where I knock the in past it's retainers while installing them.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Not sure what happened with the other pin, all I know is it completely exited the vehicle LOL. This one seems to be doing ok so far, I have a spare now as well since they come in packs of 2.

Contemplating the idea of picking up another B2 or a ranger, so I'm trying not to throw a bunch of money into this one, and just keep it for parts.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
I didn't have to try too hard....
I did catch my mistake before going to far tho.

Richard

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
Saw this post really late I guess. Had the same problem about 6 months ago. After doing about 4 brake jobs on my 94 B2300 I guess I just wore down the driver side caliper and both pins would keep backing out. Installed 2 sets of new pins before just replacing the caliper and have not had the problem since. Even when I was doing 85 on the freeway and had to slam on the brakes to avoid a major pile up. Checked them a day later and they were snug in place.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Saw this post really late I guess. Had the same problem about 6 months ago. After doing about 4 brake jobs on my 94 B2300 I guess I just wore down the driver side caliper and both pins would keep backing out. Installed 2 sets of new pins before just replacing the caliper and have not had the problem since. Even when I was doing 85 on the freeway and had to slam on the brakes to avoid a major pile up. Checked them a day later and they were snug in place.
If it weren't for just having that pin replaced a couple months prior I would have chalked it up to an old worn out pin, but the pin only being 2 months old makes me wonder why it would just fall out since it was a new pin. Only thing I can think of is it wasn't installed correctly don't know how because I tried putting it in upside down with the tabs down, and it wouldn't go easily at all. I don't know, except so far it hasn't moved.