•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Brake upgrade after 6" lift and 33's on 15X10 rims

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have a 90 Bronco II and I just had a 6" Skyjacker Class II installed. I also just put on a set of Eagle Series 186 15X10 rims with 33X12.50 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's.

It has stainless steel braided brake line extensions up front and the pedal feels spongy and I pretty much had to hold the pedal to the floor to stop it.

Obviously I know the new wheels & tires are the issue, but my question is what kind of upgrade can I do to the brakes to make this feel safe. I dont feel like if I have to stop suddenly, the stock setup will do it.

Should I get new rotors or are there upgraded calipers or something? It also has a Dana 35 up front if that helps.

Greatly appreciate the help!

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
are you sure you bled all the lines out completely? It sounds like you've got a good amount of air in the system somewhere if your having to push the pedal to the floor...

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Reaction score
are you sure you bled all the lines out completely? It sounds like you've got a good amount of air in the system somewhere if your having to push the pedal to the floor...
Agreed.

If you for sure have the air all bleed out, which I doubt you do, it is time to upgrade to the '95-'97 Ranger Dana 35 steering knuckle and brakes. The '95-'97 brake setup had a dual piston caliper where your Bronco II has just a single piston caliper.

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks guys! If in fact it is air in the system, do you think the stock braking system is good enough for the setup I am running??

99_3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.GO!
Thanks guys! If in fact it is air in the system, do you think the stock braking system is good enough for the setup I am running??
It should do fine for the time being. If the pedal feels really spongy then there is probably air in the lines. Granted the tires are bigger but you should always have a firm pedal, just takes you longer to stop. Bleed the lines first and see how it feels then upgrade if you need to. :icon_thumby:

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks for the tip!!! Will this improve braking for the 91-94 Exploders too?

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
It should do fine for the time being. If the pedal feels really spongy then there is probably air in the lines. Granted the tires are bigger but you should always have a firm pedal, just takes you longer to stop. Bleed the lines first and see how it feels then upgrade if you need to. :icon_thumby:
Thanks!! :icon_thumby:

99_3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.GO!
Not a problem. Remember to blast all the bleeders with pb blaster or something equivalent. 10/20 year old unprotected metal doesn't do so hot against rust. If I remember correctly the bleeders are 5/16 or 7/16, not sure which. Use the closed end of the wrench so you don't strip them.