•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bronco 2 lost power

Mark Lawrence

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
bronco 2
Hello everyone, new 1986 Bronco 2 owner. I have a problem with the old girl. Driving down the road and lost total power. Pulled to the side and tried to start it again. Nothing, not even a sputter. Towed it home and sat overnight. Next morning started right up. Sounds like electronics to me, maybe, but where in the system? Any help would be appreciated.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
These are know to have issues with the TFI modules getting hot and quitting. Once cool... they work again... until they don't.

Best thing to do would be to do a bit of diagnostics when it quits. Check for spark while it is a no start. No spark... chances are TFI. If you do have spark... check fuel pressure. Should have 35 to 40 psi. These 86 2.9L Bronco II and Rangers have a two fuel pump system and can fail numerous ways.

Mark Lawrence

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
bronco 2
Thank you for the input. Looks like I will have go through the system. It has been sitting for a number of years before I picked it up. Repair manual is on its way. I wish I could smack the engineers who design cars. They have no comprehension that real people will have to work on these things. The worst design, Distributor between the engine and firewall.