•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bronco 2 No Start

donzoh1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I'm looking for ideas here. The Bronco 2 was driving happily down the road and completely quit running. No sputtering, no more firing after coming to a complete stop. I can hear fuel pump running and have also sprayed starting fluid into the throttle body but no response while engine is being cranked. Battery is 12.3v or so when key is off and engine cranks well so I'm thinking it has enough battery power, although this voltage is probably down a little as it has been cranked but has not started. With key on, I can hear fuel pump running continuously and voltage is maybe 11.5. Also, this voltage can be measured at both coil harness connections. Also, battery voltage between positive terminal and coil bracket is correct so I'm thinking it's properly grounded. But, I have used the spark tester on the coil HEI output and have grounded a spark plug connected to the coil wire and no spark. I got a new ignition coil at Oreilly's since I thought that was the likely culprit but that didn't change things.

donzoh1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Also, is there a way to measure the voltage at the HEI output from the ignition coil? I know it's high voltage so maybe not.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
The fuel pump for EFI should only run for about 2 seconds when the key is on and the engine not running.
I'm not really good with electrical stuff, but doesn't the distributor control the electricity for the coil? If it was points the points opening would cause the coil to produce the big voltage spark then the rotor would send it to the correct spark plug.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Possibly a bad TFI module located on the back of the distributor, those things get hot and fry themselves I don't know if can be tested but they're a relatively cheap replacement component. The biggest issue is trying to get to the screws on the back of that distributor to get the module off, a very very short nut driver is needed and I cannot remember what size but I found one on ebay a few years ago that worked great. Correction: Its a 7/32" and a link to the common driver used to get those fasteners off: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/lisle-ignition-module-wrench-64650/10550469-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=10550469-P&adtype=pla_with_promotion&product_channel=online&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs_PDuMXb4wIVSv7jBx0yNwq8EAQYAiABEgJwZfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds