•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bronco 2 won't start unless spray starter fluid in carb, acts like starving for fuel

hummerhogs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
First Post!!

I have a 1985 Ford Bronco 2 with the 2.8L engine. The other day while going down road, bronco started to sputter and then it died. After sitting for a little bit, it started back and i was able to make it back home. Now, it wont start at all unless i spray starter fluid into carb continuosly. It acts like its not getting gas. I replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump but it still wont start. I rebuilt the carb about a year ago. What could it be thats causing the no start? Any ideas/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

IIBRONCOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
You could have a stuck carb needle/seat that is not allowing gas to flow. Try tapping on the carb with a piece of wood or a plastic screwdriver handle and try to dislodge it. The fuel line to the carb could be blocked.

hummerhogs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
i have took the carb apart and cleaned out alot of sand like dirt, and ive blew out my fuel lines and still not getting fuel to the carb. ive took the hose coming from the gas tank off and tried to start it to check if there is any suction and nothing. ive even tried to fill the bowl in the carb and let it run like that and it ran until all the gas was gone from the bowl

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
There isn't a fuel pump in the tank on the carbureted engines, just the one on the block. Have you pulled the fuel pump off the block to see if its installed properly, and functional? I believe you can pull the pump off and toggle the lever up and down by hand to pump fuel to see if it works, heck, pull the pump off disconnect all the lines and hookup another line and see if it will suck fuel out of a bucket.