•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

bronco II ac dealer or factory ac?

jovibuilt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I have a 1988 bronco II with factory ac and a swaped in 4.0.It is missing a few parts.The hoses to the compresser.It was wrecked and the body is shot.I bought a 87 bronco II with a good body.I am swaping everything over to the 87.It had dealer installed ac.What all do I have to do put the factory ac in the 88?Are there any differences?Should i just get everything from an explorer?And swap it to the bronco?Since it has a 4.0 in it?Thanks

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
I would get all the stuff from a '91-'94 Explorer or 4.0L Ranger, yes.
The Explorer/4.0L Ranger will have a later design condenser that might work better with the newer R-134a freon. Make sure it's clean inside, if not, you do not want it at all (you can't really effectively flush them out either).

Also, if that compressor has been exposed to the elements (no hoses), I wouldn't try using it, get the one from the Ex (or better, just get a new one. 4.0L uses the FS-10 comp).

Hope that helps

RobbieD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Can you post some pics of what you have?

"Dealer installed air" can be either a genuine Ford kit, or an aftermarket kit. A lot of details may differ between the two types of systems; but the biggest difference being on whether you have an orifice tube setup like Ford uses, or an expansion valve like an aftermarket kit would use.

Otherwise, to some degree it is possible to "mix and match" between the two types of systems.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
I would be more specific.

I would recommend getting the entire system from a 1994 explorer.

Why specifically a 1994?

Because 1994's were MADE for R-134a
All the others must be "Retrofitted"

AD

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
I would be more specific.

I would recommend getting the entire system from a 1994 explorer.

Why specifically a 1994?

Because 1994's were MADE for R-134a
All the others must be "Retrofitted"

AD
True, but with the possible exception of the orifice tube size, the parts are still the same back to at least 1990 (Ford must've been thinking ahead for the change).
And besides, a "retrofit" is really only a matter of thoroughly flushing the system out of R-12 mineral oil, and changing the port fittings (accumulator too, although changing that should already be a given any time the system is opened for any reason). I would go a step further and replace all the o-rings as well.
These are all things you should be doing anyway if you're pulling used parts from one vehicle and putting it on another.