•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bronco II Dash Cover Lay installed

Gordy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I had minor issues with my 1985 B2 dash pad so while I had things torn apart to track down a dash illumination issue, I ordered and installed a dash Cover Lay. It's semi soft ABS plastic and easily goes on and fits really well. I have an Eddie Bauer with Desert Sand interior and ordered the light brown cover. It was not close to the color I needed but it was not a problem to paint to the color I needed. For the money it's a really good answer to a dash issue. They include a tube of silicone adhesive with the kit. I thought a spray adhesive covering the entire old dash area would be best but the instructions say not to do that- it can cause it to buckle or warp in the sun. So as advised, I applied the silicone clear adhesive just in a bead along the edges and around the vents etc. Pretty happy with it.

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
After working on my Bronco II a bit... I believe it has a Cover Lay on it. Was on it when I bought the truck. I just noticed it appears to be cracking a bit where the cluster hump begins in the center.

I have a new set of Cover Lay door panels to go on when I finish up the door internals. Many folks don't rate them highly... so I'm gonna form my own opinion real soon.

Gordy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Hey Gordy where did you purchase your cover lay and $?
Just compared pricing from E Bay sellers for a while and found one for $142 with free shipping. Most were in the $150 range.
I took a trim piece to an Ace Hardware store and found a plastic paint which matched my Desert Sand interior so closely that where the painted pieces mate up to non refinished pieces it is almost spot on. The paint is Rustoleum Satin Nutmeg and it is labeled as "Works on Plastic". I also cleaned and painted the kick panels and the lift gate trim piece.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gordy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Also, the dash pad does not need to come off the vehicle to apply the Cover Lay. It almost snaps right over the old dash pad.

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I have the same dash cover and door panels on the way in their light brown, which from the samples I received from them, is the closest to what I have in my '88 EB now. I very much appreciate you posting that picture of your paint job and more importantly, stating EXACTLY what you used. I already bought some generic "tan" paint from LMT but I'm gonna grab a can of the same Rustoleum and have a paint-off before spraying my entire interior trim.