•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bronco II Newbie

Meeki111

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Hi all, I’m into day 3 of being the proud owner of a ‘89 Bronco II out in PA. Purchased sub $1k. Was previously a daily driver and generally runs well.

My goal is to improve my vehicle knowledge (very green right now) and try to add $ value to it. My plan is to give the engine some TLC (tune up, gaskets, starter replacement etc) home respray (classic two tone, rattle can job) and put 31’s on it. I am trying to restore it’s originality and am not looking to lift, chop or transplant.

Really looking for some wisdom and advice from the group. In your opinion what should I should focus on first?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
Start with anything related to Brakes. Rebuild it all, Change all the fluids everything. New valve cover gaskets, new plugs and wiring. New shocks. That should keep you busy for a while.

Dennis

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Get the maintenance taken care of first, tune up, gaskets, leaks, etc. Then worry about the cosmetics....who cares if its got a $5,000 paint job if it can't move under its own power type thing. I've got an 88 Bronco 2 that needs painted. I also have an 87 Ranger I need to finish repainting. Both are getting rustoleum paint jobs here when I feel like doing that stuff again. Been sick the past week and horrible back pain to haven't gotten much done LOL.

Meeki111

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Of course basic safety and maintenance should be first. In addition to the above, belts and hoses. Look at the suspension bushings, esp the radius arm bushings because if they wear out the radius arm bracket will chew through the radius arm.

Take some time and go over the whole truck looking for oil leaks, dangling wire and hoses and wires rubbing metal. Look for half-assed wire splices like wire nuts and twisted and taped connections and fix those now before they became a problem.

The best bang for the buck fix I did on my BII was weatherstripping and door/window seals. All that was shot and the doors and glass and hatch rattled and made the BII sound like a bucket of bolts. It's fairly cheap and easy to do. The hatch striker bushings is another cheap/easy fix.

Meeki111

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Update, checked brakes, changed valve cover gaskets, exhaust manifold gasket, tune up, door replacement.

Bed lined the outside using tintable raptor bed liner. Preparation took forever but it was worth it.

Put 31s on in place of stock rims.

496836EB-09B4-4FB2-BF7E-0AFFCC4F1041.jpegF69734F3-EB77-4553-81DB-B12E4F92478B.jpeg78CAB6AB-4F32-4BFE-9D4B-16DE92A3E87F.jpegB4D1E5F8-43D0-4A2A-84E1-EFE12E9D6187.jpeg47CD79AE-EBC4-46D7-B0B5-03F8FF28F942.jpeg

BroncoIIKid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I would really dig deep into it and make sure that there are no safety hazards and perform any routine maintenance such as fluids, brake pads, and etc. What I have noticed on a lot of bronco 2's is that their suspension is always beat to crap so I would really invest in that part of the truck. I replaced everything that has to do with suspension in my b2 and it was so worth it, but it wasn't easy or cheap. Congrats on getting a bronco 2 and have fun with it.