•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bronco ii on top

Hunamongyou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
V-8
My 85 Bronco ii is not terribly peppy even after the duraspark conversion and replacing the variable venturi carb with a mustang ii carb. I've decided to go radical and put in a freshly-rebuilt 302 HO engine I bought and a new process 4-speed with transfer case I removed from an 85 F-150. The biggest wrinkle is that I'm putting the running gear into a 95 explorer chassis that I've narrowed and shortened to Bii length and width. At this point, I have the engine-transmission, transfer case set in the modified chassis and engine is bolted down. Transmission is yet to be mounted on what will be a newly fabricated cross member. When I get all the running gear complete including drive shafts, I will lift the cab of my Bronco ii and copy the mounting locations to the explorer chassis. I will modify the firewall/floorpan as necessary to effect the install. I'm also planning a roll cage install to coincide with dropping the body onto the modified chassis. When I'm done, I plan to have about 300 hp under the hood which should roll me down the road (or trail) with a bit more zip. If anyone else has done this, I'd like to hear from you. If anyone has any questions about what I'm doing, I'll try to answer them. No need to ask why I'm doing it though. I'm doing it because I want to- that's the American way.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
The 2.8L V6, and the 2.9L V6 engines weren't racing engines LOL. They'll never have any "Pep" they weren't made for that. Back in those days the speed limits on highways were 55mph anyhow...they'll do 80+mph but probably not good to run them that fast...the B2's weren't exactly the greatest at high speeds...and as they age the suspension/steering components don't get any better, they wear and you get a lot of road wander no matter how good your alignment and bushings, tie-rods, etc are.

The 302 has been installed in many Bronco 2's and Rangers, its nothing new. Putting it into an Explorer isn't anything new either...the Mountaineers had the 302 in them as an option. Its a tight squeeze into the Bronco 2 and Ranger but its been done many times, cooling becomes a huge issue though.

Hunamongyou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
V-8
Hi Wildbill23c,
I'm not just putting in a 302. I'm also putting in the 4 speed new process transmission and transfer case from an 85 F150. It's definitely going to be a tight fit for all of that. My plan is to open up the front behind the grill for a wider radiator. I'm sure I'll have to fabricate a plate to go across the front to do so. I may also have to include a coupled heat exchanger somehow. I'm making progress though.