•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bronco sport aka Baby Bronco

snoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
All 10 are Ford
Engine Size
4.0,5.0,4BT,4.0
Here’s some leaked pics of the Escape chassis based little brother...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Why does that thing look like a Range Rover?

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
IDK, I think the newer Explorers look like Land Rovers.

snoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
All 10 are Ford
Engine Size
4.0,5.0,4BT,4.0
I showed the pics to my wife today... She ripped the phone out of my hand and said “OOOH, I like that.” I told her it’s based on the Escape chassis (she’s on her 3rd new Escape now.) She wanted to go buy one today.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Briefly saw a Badlands edition at the local dealer this weekend. A couple of guys were looking at it already so I basically did a quick walkaround with a peek inside. Social distancing , don't ya know?

I did not think I would like it but... I did. It needs bigger tires but other than that I could see owning one. I've wanted a replacement for the BII for a long time. This may be the closest we get. I'll have to go back and look closer, and check the turning radius. I expect the turning radius and visibility to be less than the BII. Power and MPG should be much better though and much more refined. Not sure that I want refined, but I still have the BII for that old school feel.

I don't see how I can afford a Bronco and a Bronco Sport, so Ill be waiting to decide until after I see the Bronco.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I want to get a good look at the 2022 Maverick............supposed to be based on the Bronco/Escape chassis with four doors and a small pickup bed. Base model priced under $20K.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I swung by the dealer today, I'm on vacation and was cruising the BII around town and thought "what the heck, why not?'.

Uh, almost 40g's of why not :)

Drove one of the lower trims with the smaller engine, not as bad as the internet makes it out to be.
The Badlands with 2.0 is like I remembered from my test drive of the new Escape in terms of acceleration. It's got plenty.
It feels like a truck, not a car when you drive it. Or at least not as car-like as our Rav4. It feels solid and stable. The wife and I both find this to be favorable.
The Badlands was a little softer than the lower trim model. Shocks, tires or tire pressure I don't know.

I said several times "I can't believe Ford got this right."

Wife said "I want it." with the unspoken "or else" and followed that with "you promised me another Bronco."

It's not going to hurt too much to trade out the Rav4, looks like we might be ordering a Bronco Sport soon.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
It's ordered, no idea how long it will take.
Area 51, Badlands trim with Badlands package
Near fully optioned out just under $38K with x-plan. $39.1K MSRP.
The metal flake paint trims are an upcharge, Rapid Red, Alto Blue and Cyber Orange.
You can of course go higher dollar with accessories like roof top tents, first aid, roadside and off-road recovery kits.

The fender flare option on the Ford Build-it site, Is an accessory only item,
They could not order it with the build, the order system kicked it out as an accessory only. I'll have to buy it and install them myself.

The one head scratcher, you cannot get a factory garage door opener at all., it's not an option.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I want to get a good look at the 2022 Maverick............supposed to be based on the Bronco/Escape chassis with four doors and a small pickup bed. Base model priced under $20K.
Here's a peek at it;
Ford Maverick video from TFL Truck

I'd like a super cab version instead of a crew cab but I'll hold my judgement until I see it in person.

Last edited:

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
No front pics except with the camo gear........I'll have to take a gander at it when they come out later this year.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Starting to see them on the streets now. Dealers can't keep stock on the lot for long in the upper trims.
Outer Banks and Badlands just don't last.
If Ford had picked their timing better (pandemic) they'd be making a killing on them. If the delays put the buyers off long enough for competitors to catch up this could be a big SNAFU for Ford with the Sport and Bronco. Subaru announced a lifted big tire model to compete with teh Sport and Toyota is rumored to be bringing back the FJ Cruiser and the 4Runner has a planned remake for '23. Jeep has the Hemi Wrangler.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Congrats on your new sport...

I think the competition in given segment is a good thing.

Ford spanked Jeep pretty hard... they will certainly be thinking about what it takes to not loose market share in two of their current segments. This means a win for the consumer.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I'm still waiting. Build date is 6/14. Plus up to another month for delivery. I'm not good at waiting...

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
When they brought it back... I had planned on year two.

I was already in wait mode.

snoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
All 10 are Ford
Engine Size
4.0,5.0,4BT,4.0
I guess I should have stop in earlier....

We picked up my wife’s BS Badlands w/ Badlands package about 2 months ago. She loves it.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
My update. The BS I ordered 3/19 is built and the paint is fading in the Mexican desert. It was built on time but is missing a chip. so it has been sitting outside since 6/17 with a scheduled delivery date of 11/3 !!!

I bought a 2021 used 4 Runner last week and I am waiting on it to be delivered. I also sold my truck so I am down a vehicle. I'm not 100% sure that I am not buying the BS but looks to be unlikely at this point. My desire to wait until 11/3 to buy a 2021 while 2022 model year starts production on 11/1 is pretty darn low.

I'm not sure Ford could think of more ways to piss me off at this point.
  1. the price has gone up $540 nullifying the $500 rebate I'm eligible for.
  2. new incentives are out for BS's for a $1000 rebate (I'm not eligible for this rebate as ordered too soon)
  3. now that they have a supply of chips they are rolling completed BS's off the line and shipping them as mine sits in the desert.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I would tell Ford to pack sand.....I'm not buying a one year old vehicle for retail price.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Well, I caved... My ordered Bronco Sport arrived at the dealer on 11/5.
I made the mistake of driving it and then I was reminded how much I like the one that I test drove and why I ordered this one.
I did a 100 mile test drive and kept it overnight trying to find a reason to not like it.
In the finance office I was offered the original price with X-Plan and 1.9% for 60 months.
I said that there was 0.9% for 60 months when I ordered and they were able to do that.
So no price increase and no finance increase.

The way my dealer handled this really impressed me.
They knew I was undecided and let me have it all day and overnight all the while I was putting miles on it.
I know they have a wait list for a fully loaded Badlands and they could mark it up 5K easy.
They could have very easily pushed me away and made an extra 5K.

Here's some picks after it rolled off the transport.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
@JerryC It's kinds hard to tell if you're happy about the purchase.

It is nice to see you got well treated well at the dealer... don't hear much of that anymore.

I wanted my wife to get one of these... The Maverick was cheaper and probably works better for her work vehicle anyway.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
LOL, yeah sometimes it's hard for me to tell if I'm happy about the whole deal. :)
On the one hand, I'm happy to have it.
On the other I'm not happy about the shenanigan's after it was pulled off the line to sit in the desert for four months, and it gets under my skin just the desert dust in the cracks of the Bronco Sport (dealer owes me a detail).

I had been planning on doing without an extra car and having that extra cash flow. So looking at a $700/month payment is sobering.

But when I drive it I'm happy.
My wife loves it, so it's all good.