•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

BroncoII 4.0 swap questions

JeffSterrett

Reaction score
Hi, getting ready to swap a 4.0 out of a '93 Explorer into an '84 BroncoII. The donor Explorer is complete and unmodified, just has a bad trans (automatic). The BroncoII has a carbureted 2.8 and a manual trans. So here's my questions....

- I understand the Explorer clutch/trans are stronger, but issues of durability aside, will the Bronco trans and flywheel/clutch work?

- Seeing as the 4.0 ECU is for an automatic truck, will it have any real issues running with a manual trans? I.E. codes or malfunctions due to the missing auto trans connections?

- Can anyone give me a quick and easy list of which parts to use from each truck for the best combination? (I realize this might vary a bit based on personal opinion, but I personally am not much of a Ford guy so any input will be appreciated)

- This kinda goes alonng with the previous question, but would it be beneficial to switch anything not directly related to the engine swap, like suspension, axles, drivelines, transfer cases, body/interior parts, etc?

I will probably have a good number more questions once I dig in to this project, just trying to get a feel at the moment of whether I can get my friend back up on the road without having to buy a bunch of extra stuff that we can't get off the donor vehicle.

Thanks in advance for your time and responses.

Jeff

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
-First you can use your transmission just be smart about it since its a weaker tranny. And use a 4.0 flywheel and clutch.

-I used the auto ecu on mine for a little while with my manual.

http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103747

You will also need the dash.

-Other items:
Radiator, both axles, any interiorpieces you might want(center console), and again the dash

JeffSterrett

Reaction score
So the dashes in an '84 BroncoII and '93 Explorer are interchangable? I'll have to search for a walkthrough thread on that.

JeffSterrett

Reaction score
Ok, what I've read so far talks about needing to swap the pedal assemblies with the dash, but my donor is an automatic (no clutch pedal), so would I need to find a manual pedal assembly in order to make this work?

Keep in mind my friend doesn't have a whole lot of extra cash to sink into this at the moment, making payments to me to buy the donor Explorer.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
What is the reason you need dash wiring?

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
..you don't NEED the dash.. it just makes it simpler.

i have the stock b2 dash in my 88 b2 w/ a 4.0 swap.. its just some wiring you gotta do to make the gauges work on the 4.0 harness.. its not that hard, just time consuming and can be frustrating..

JeffSterrett

Reaction score
As far as the dash goes, I will probably pull the one from the Explorer and have my friend hold on to it for a later date, and will just wire into the existing dash and harness for now to save him a few bucks on parts. Once we get everything off of it he's gonna want the rest is goin to the scrap yard.

ronclark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Are you going to use the cruse controls? i am looking for the vacuum motor.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Are those socks for sale? I am running out.