•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bye,Bye A4LD...5-Speed in???????????????

dabwid

Reaction score
85 Bronco II. 2.8L 85,000 org. miles. Know the history. I am second owner. Put in a rebuilt A4LD 1500miles ago. Front seal gone already. No warranty left. BTW this is third tranny. How hard to swap to 5 speed?

Last edited:

TheOne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
clutch pedals, master (attached to pedals), clutch fluid line, manual tranny (m5od is best), 4L clutch, starter, and flywheel, ummmm alittle wiring for neutral safety and reverse lights.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ever do a clutch or replace an auto? Its not too much harder.

dabwid

Reaction score
I know the basic's. Have a couple ?????? Who has done one this swap???
what about trans cross member? rear drive shaft? What years are best for pedal assb.?

Last edited:

kunar

Odd One
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
if youre taking out an a4ld, your trans cross member and drive shafts are just fine how they are, wont need to be swapped. the pedals need to come out of a 1st gen, thats all

if you can swap a transmission, you can do this swap. the 4.0 clutch and starter are not required but they are a nice upgrade if youre buying a clutch anyways

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If you go to the M5 the d-shaft and cross member are ok. A FM145 will require moving the member forward and a longer shaft.

The pedals can come out of any 1st gen. if you are already buying a flywheel and clutch, get the 4.0 parts. much nicer.

kunar

Odd One
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If you go to the M5 the d-shaft and cross member are ok. A FM145 will require moving the member forward and a longer shaft.
thats true, thanks for pointing that out. i guess i just dont see the mitsu as an upgrade lol

Will

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
85 Bronco II. 2.8L 85,000 org. miles. Know the history. I am second owner. Put in a rebuilt A4LD 1500miles ago. Front seal gone already. No warranty left. BTW this is third tranny. How hard to swap to 5 speed?
Yep, this is exactly the problem everyone has on the A4LD and you got screwed because your rebuilder doesn't know about it. They just slap new soft parts in.

>>LINK<<

Now, if you really want to swap in a 5-speed, you are going to need enough parts that the only viable option is to find a donor vehicle. The list of stuff you need is long. If you are going to bother, it would be good if a 4.0 were attached to the input shaft of that 5-speed.

For the work and money, and since all of your A4LD parts are basically new, send them your bellhousing is the best bet.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
thats true, thanks for pointing that out. i guess i just dont see the mitsu as an upgrade lol
While the M5 is superior to the FM145, I got many miles and years of reliable service out of mine. I was actually a little sad to see it go (my fault) especially because I loved that shifter. That said, a Fred Flintstone trans would be an upgrade from the A4LD.

Yabba Dabba DOOOO!!!

IlovemybroncII

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Chev
For
Engine Size
350/2.9/2.9
what are you going to do with the old a4ld pm me if you want to get rid of it

TheOne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
what u mean u can only used the gen 1 pedals? could u not use the gen 2 pedals aswell? like from a 89 bronco?

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
When I did this it wasn't to bad and well worth it.I have gen 2 peddles in mine m50d tranny lined up everywhere front back.I used this time to put in a 4.0 if you can find a good donor do that.I'll bet that I walked 20 miles for that A4LD loosing fluid out the front seal and it took a while but I trust my B2 again.

TheOne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
ok so the gen 2 pedals will work? i think my m5od is the earlier version (not 93 or 94) probably 91-92 since the slave is different than on my dads 93 ranger...

turner little

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
what if i have a 98 explorer for donor will the petals work or can i buy the petals

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I dunno if the 98 Ex pedals will work.

If you really can't find a set of manual trans pedals for a 1st or 2nd gen PM me, I know where I can find a few good sets at the local junk yard.

rangerman84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
im actually thinkin of doin this same swap my dad did it to my ranger and i got the 4 speed automatic in my bronco II and its slippin bad but he told me it was pretty easy