•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Can you help me with Transmission identification

Jakub81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Hello Bronco Friends

I have small request If you could help me with identification what transmission I need to my Bronco, ( I bought car without Trnasmission )
It is Bronco II, XLT 2,9L V6 1988 Automatic,

As Im living in Europe it is difficult to find this part locally, ( and my bronco is USA version )

Any suggestions are welocme ;)

1. what is identification of oryginal version of transmission ?
  2. what kind of replacement can fit ( explorer, ranger ? -what year )
  3. where I can start looking for in USA ? ( any www store advice )

Please have a look at few pictures

Thanks in advnace for help !

Attachments

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Okay, is it a 4X4 or a 2X4, if 4X4 do you have the transfer case, how about the front driveline? If not then you will need a transfer case, BW1350 or BW1354. The transmission would have been an A4LD. A4LD's were used in Bronco II's from 85'-90'. Used in Rangers, Aerostars, and Explorers until 95' I think. There is a difference between the two wheel drive and 4 wheel drive (tail cone is different and maybe the output shaft). Good luck with your search.

After re-examining the pics it looks like a 2X4......it may get complicated now. The 2X4 Bronco II also used a transfer case with the front drive blocked off. You can try to find one of those, or use the 4X4 version with out the front drive shaft (just make sure its in 2 HI before putting it in. Alternately you can find a transmission (2X4) from a Ranger which had a longer tail shaft and housing and just delete the transfer case (this would be the option I would try for). I think you would need a longer rear driveshaft with this (not 100% sure though). Once again, good luck.

Last edited:

Jakub81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Thank you for help
So it is rather 2x4, the biggest problem with searching is that even if Im findnig righ Bell Housing that visualy fit to engine, connection between end of transmission visualy not fit to rear drife shaft I have

One idea that I would like to try is - buy transmission like below ( I have offer locally for 150 USD ) replace bell housing to bronco fit, and find rear shaft.

Seller is sayin it fit to Mustang 2.3, Aerostar and ranger RWD (engine bell housing is different )

Ford skrzynia automatyczna A4LD RWD Dąbrowa Górnicza - image 1

I found also locally offer of transfer case available from Oryginal bronco 4x4, one thing Im wondering is If this end of transmission above can be demounted and connected to bronco 4x4 transfer case, and than to rear shaft I have.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Okay, the trans you have there may be an A4LD but with a bell housing for something different than a 2.9 L Cologne engine (3.0 Vulcan or a 2.3 L 4 cylinder). The drive shaft you have is a CV joint type that attached to the fake transfer case (most of those CV drive lines should be replaced with u-joint ones).I'm afraid the easiest thing to do is find an A4LD from a Bronco II (with the transfer case-either fake or real). Other options aren't going to be easy or cheap.

To use the transmission pictured you would have to find the correct bell housing, a transmission tail support (or make one), and then have a drive line made to fit the vehicle. All do-able but take time and money. Does that transmission have a torque converter with it?