•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Cats..

gimedic1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Any idea why ford put TWO catalytic converters on 1989 BII? Got two BII's and they both have two..Gonna try to cut one set off, haven't had a muffler on her in years..And are ALL stock exhaust support to be 2.25", Think about trying to put a Red Hot Muffler afterwards..THE O2 Sensor is before Cat, So probably burnt out ANYWAY...

Last edited:

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
It is a three way, two bed cat. The chemistry for them wasn't as advanced as it is today and they needed two separate beds to get the stuff in there to do the whole job. Leave them be.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
So if newer cats are more advanced wouldn't a new one do the job of the older stock system? I recently sold a truck where I changed the stock cats twice using used stuff. It was on a 97 f150 4.2L and there looks to be four cats, two per side. After screwing around for a day I think I would have been farther ahead to cut out the cats, welding in tube and adding one cat and an extra o2 bung before the muffler. At least that was my plan for the future until seeing adsom08's response.
Comments?

Richard

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
So if newer cats are more advanced wouldn't a new one do the job of the older stock system? I recently sold a truck where I changed the stock cats twice using used stuff. It was on a 97 f150 4.2L and there looks to be four cats, two per side. After screwing around for a day I think I would have been farther ahead to cut out the cats, welding in tube and adding one cat and an extra o2 bung before the muffler. At least that was my plan for the future until seeing adsom08's response.
Comments?

Richard
Cats work better the closer they are to the engine, that is probably a lot of the reason they are mounted where they are on newer vehicles.

One other reason that I really like that setup is they are mounted higher which helps prevent a massive grass fire with your truck in the middle of it.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
That is something to keep in mind - keeping the cat/s close to the engine. More research is indicated....

Richard

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The later model vehicles have pre and post cats for a number of reasons.

Sometimes it was easier to get the job done with a two bed system. Sometimes it was increased emissions standards. Sometimes it was just to be dicks.

BronKitis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
adsm08, you've answered so many of my questions without even knowing it. I shall leave my cats be.

turbo2256b

Reaction score
cat closest to the exh manifolp is a light off cat it enables the emmissions to be lower just off start up as the EPA started hammering on emmissions close to innitial starting of the engine something like 30 seconds after start up.
Later ended up requireing a oxy sensor before and after the cat to monitor wether there working or not.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
It is a three way, two bed cat. The chemistry for them wasn't as advanced as it is today and they needed two separate beds to get the stuff in there to do the whole job. Leave them be.
If this setup needs replaced, does the replacement come in 2 pieces or has it been updated to a 1 piece? I saw this exact same setup the other day at the pick-a-part, and wondered if the new parts would be the same or if its now a 1 piece unit.

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
If this setup needs replaced, does the replacement come in 2 pieces or has it been updated to a 1 piece? I saw this exact same setup the other day at the pick-a-part, and wondered if the new parts would be the same or if its now a 1 piece unit.
I have an OEM fit replacement. Looks identical to the stop. It is all welded together in a single assembly.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I have an OEM fit replacement. Looks identical to the stop. It is all welded together in a single assembly.
Ahh, good to know. Been contemplating trying to sell my 84 B2 and get a newer one in better shape. However, I don't think I'm ready to scrap my 84 though. Someone removed the exhaust from the front of the cat to the tailpipe, welded in a 2' piece of pipe then a muffler, so my exhaust ends right under the passenger seat of the B2. What a mess the PO left this thing in. The cost of having a new exhaust installed is going to be more than the B2 is worth :annoyed:.

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Ahh, good to know. Been contemplating trying to sell my 84 B2 and get a newer one in better shape. However, I don't think I'm ready to scrap my 84 though. Someone removed the exhaust from the front of the cat to the tailpipe, welded in a 2' piece of pipe then a muffler, so my exhaust ends right under the passenger seat of the B2. What a mess the PO left this thing in. The cost of having a new exhaust installed is going to be more than the B2 is worth :annoyed:.
There are generic fit cats which are fairly cheap. This OEM fit one was quite a bit more expensive, around $290 IIRC.

It connects up to the Y pipe where there are two openings into the cat.

The rest of the exhaust back after the cat cost less than $100

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Thanks, when I have the exhaust done, if I can keep this thing going long enough to even worry about it, I'll check into a universal cat as here in Idaho there isn't much in the way of emissions however, I think the B2 is still new enough to require a cat.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks, when I have the exhaust done, if I can keep this thing going long enough to even worry about it, I'll check into a universal cat as here in Idaho there isn't much in the way of emissions however, I think the B2 is still new enough to require a cat.
1975 and newer, except Honda Civics until 81 or 83.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Thanks for the reply. This explains why grandpa's 71 F-100 didn't have emissions stuff on it.

Decoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Someone removed the exhaust from the front of the cat to the tailpipe, welded in a 2' piece of pipe then a muffler, so my exhaust ends right under the passenger seat of the B2.

I had a 2006 gmc Serra with a setup just like that when I got it. It had a great sound (although loud) and I never changed it. I never saw anything wrong with it other than the emissions issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Hmm, wonder why not the civics.

I seem to recall an exemption for certain weight class/trucks which weren't require to add cat and go to unleaded until 79.

We had a 78 Suburban that took regular at that time as it was called instead of unleaded.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I had a 2006 gmc Serra with a setup just like that when I got it. It had a great sound (although loud) and I never changed it. I never saw anything wrong with it other than the emissions issue.

Mine sounds like crap because the exhaust header gaskets are well I'm guessing not there anymore. Every time I get close to having the money saved up to have the exhaust replaced something else happens and I have to put that money to something else. I'm not even sure if I want to waste the money on replacing the exhaust because it needs major body work to the tune of $5k+ not worth it considering that's about 1/2 of my annual income. I'm seriously thinking about counting my $975 as a loss an just having it hauled off at this point rather than tossing money at a dead horse. The previous owner pretty much ran my B2 into the ground. Engine, transmission, axles, t-case, etc are fine just the rest of the truck is toast LOL.

Decoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
wildbill23c;Engine said:
It's usually the other way around, isn't it? Lol! But it's ok the body is optional. ;-)
You're probably right, though. If this is a daily driver and not a toy truck, it needs to be more than 4wheels and an engine. It may be wise to sell it "as is" and pick up another one in better shape. That's the funny thing about these trucks. They're cheap to buy, expensive to own. (Old parts to be replaced and all)