•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

CD Player in 1984 Bronco II

lrdg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I’ve been lurking around here for a year or and finally have problem that is new to me that I cannot find having been discussed. My 84 B2 has a post type radio. I want to install a CD player. Has any else done this? Is there a face plate I can look for? Will I need to cut more than the plastic dash? Am I using the correct terms to communicate what I have in mind? I’ve put a bunch of radios / tape players in my trucks in the last forty years but have not yet tried this. Thanks.

RobbieD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Consider picking up another dash panel, from the junkyard. Starting with the 1985 models the radio opening changed over to a single DIN style, which would be much easier to work with if you're going to change radios. Unaltered shaft-radio dash panels (for '83 & '84s) are getting hard to find, too, so you might want to hang onto to yours or sell it.

Mounting a DIN chassis correctly would be to use a mounting kit (a bracket) that bolts the radio to the stock mounting locations behind the dash panel (you'll see this once you get it apart). The less-desirable way to upgrade the radio is to affix the new unit's cage to the dash trim opening.

With a mounting kit and a later DIN opening dash panel, installing your new head unit would be a lot easier and you'll get a much better end result.

Good luck with it, and welcome to the forums!