•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

clutch issues with a 87 4 spd w overdrive

syntheticd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
pretty new to the bronco 2 i have a 2 fullsize ones but the little is new to me. i got it knowing something was wrong with the clutch. i ordered a new clutch for it. but as i was towing into my shop i noticed i could shift threw the gears with out pushing the clutch. it wont move still but reverse would chatter a little bit im some what of a DIY automotive i can change a clutch but to me it feels like it might be related to a slave cylinder or throwout any ideas suggestions?

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Not sure what you mean by being able to move thru the gears without pushing the clutch.

Was the engine running? Was the vehicle moving?

It would be odd, with engine running to be able to go thru the gears without clutch depressed.

A failed throwout bearing would generally mean that pushing the clutch will not disengage the motor from the trans, not that it will stay disengaged.

From the way it is sounding it seems there is just continuous slip, no engine engagement to the trans. That would seem to be an incredible amount of wear. On my original BII, at 185K miles I wore the clutch enough that I was getting slip under accel but it generally moved at least to a certain degree.

Again slave cylinder issues usually result in the engine not being disengaged from the trans.

I suppose however that if the slave cylinder were to be jammed somehow holding the clutch plate out, it could potentially keep the engine disengaged from the trans.

I don't know much about the clutch itself beyond my experience with a worn out clutch and a failed throwout bearing.

syntheticd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
engine was running and i was able shift gears not depressing the clutch and it went just fine. and no the truck didnt move at all.

syntheticd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
i get the feeling the clutch is probably just toasted ill know more tommorow when i dig into it and get it out. but i went ahead and ordered a slave and rear main seal might as well while im in there.

syntheticd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Finally got the clutch changed and tranny back in.... the tranny is banging hard in 1 2 3. when i pulled the old clutch it actually looked pretty new but the metal around the clutch disk springs was broken off..... im at a loss is it time for a new tranny or is there something i can do to fix this.....