•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Conversion driveshaft

86EddieBroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
This seems to be a pretty dead forum unfortunately, just like all the others I'm on... BUT I figured I would ask anyways.

Looking to do a Conversion style driveshaft to replace my GKN style. I have yet to break that one but the boot split on the one original to the truck and the spare boot I had from another one has now also split and you can't get those tulip boots anywhere. SO time for the change.

The question I have is the output of the transfer case is rather level vs the input of the pinon on the rear which is pointed up. When you compare the two angles of the driveshaft the output on the transfer case is clearly more aggressive... going into the rear is more of a straight shot. I've seen info that you should try to keep the U-joints at the same angles to cancel out the oscillation that can be generated by them. Obviously this is not a problem with the existing CV joint because of it's design but I was wondering if I should be looking at reversing the direction of the leaf wedge at the bottom to aim the pinion further down. The truck has a Rough Country 4" lift on it, front springs and rear leafs were swapped out, it's not on blocks.

This is the Geometry I'm assuming I should be shooting for...

Sadly the front is also not at the proper angles and I feel that is due to the 4" lift dropping the diff's and the transfer case staying where it is but I'm not positive on that since just lowering the diff's should not change the angle of them. Especially the front... if it was parallel to the transfer case originally it should still be, just lower. The rear however there are wedges under the leaf pack so those could have been twisted 180 from where they should be. I was not the one to install the 4" lift kit, we bought it with that done already.

If I can do nothing and just install it then that's great, but if I need to keep these two angles as close as possible, I would like to know that ahead of time before I waste the effort of installing it and having it break something.

I'm also going to measure the distance because I read on here a few people lifting their truck 4" and the BroncoGraveyard U-joint style shaft was now too short... I may go for the 33-36" length one vs the 30-33 which is listed as what a factory 86 with an auto would use.

Last edited:

offroadohio

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
How mine is. No problems i built it myself from an explorer rear. Local shop only charges $75 to shorten them if you camt yourselfm

Im at 32 inches long sitting as is

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

86EddieBroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
It does not look like your leaf pack has a wedge at the bottom of it aiming the differential in a specific direction.

Here are a few pictures of the current setup as it is with the ball/cage driveshaft. One is of the leaf wedge I'm speaking of.

Overall

Leaf wedge

Transfer case angle

Diff Angle

Attachments

offroadohio

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I dont have the wedge becuase it is an 8.8 from explorer. I welded the spring perches where i need them.

Your angles at the tcase will be less becuase the joint will be closer to case and axle giving you a longer distance to make up the angle.

The wedges rotate the axle upward to try to eliminate some angle.

Your front cant be rotated and will have a more extreme angle.

I lost the 1354 case a long time ago and i now run a shortened cherokee double cardan shaft up front.

I had a factory double cardan in the rear but it seized so i went with the single joint style. Ive ran shortened explorer shafts in many broncos without issues.

Last edited:

86EddieBroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
The wedges rotate the axle upward to try to eliminate some angle.
So this is basically saying when I do get a conversion driveshaft, install it and see what the angles are, if the diff has way less of an input angle vs the output of the transfer case I should either flip these shims around, or remove them to point the yolk down to match the output of the transfer case.

I also agree that yes when I use a U style shaft the joint will be closer to the output of the transfer case but in reality the angle of the input of the diff and output of the transfer case still wouldn't be parallel with each other. The only way to accomplish that would be to spin or remove those leave wedges.

This is staying a pretty basic truck with the 4" lift... Contemplating the explorer running gear for the larger better front diff and maybe the 8.8 with disc if we find it locally but all and all this truck does just fine as it is so I'm not looking to go crazy with mixing and matching parts under here.

offroadohio

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Just put the conversion shaft it and leave the wedges alone.

86EddieBroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Would you mind explaining yourself here? Because this breaks every rule I know about installing universal joint driveshafts. The last thing I want to do is wear this thing out excessively fast because it's been installed incorrectly. This truck will make street trips... We drive it from CT to VT to go trail riding.

I'm currently inquiring about a Denny's driveshaft which comes with a double cardan joint at the transfer-case which would allow me to leave the geometry alone and not have to worry about the u-joint oscillation.

Just put the conversion shaft it and leave the wedges alone.

offroadohio

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
You are worrying to much.

86EddieBroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
No actually it's called driveline basics... Phasing of U-Joints. And if you don't practice them you have failures. I kinda expected someone would have practiced those basics on this forum for comparison but I guess not.

I purchased a Driveshaft from Denny's Driveshafts and it has the proper double cardan universal at the transfer case and will probably last me a lifetime.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

offroadohio

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
50,000 miles and going strong on my junk yard purchased and home shortened shaft with 4.5 inches of lift, single joints.

Many many years and many many miles on plenty of other home built shafts

Never put an angle guage on any.

No failures

offroadohio

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Just saying you are making it a bigger deal than it really is.

Leave it as it is, order the shaft and bolt it in

86EddieBroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Did you look at the date on this thread? I've been running a Denny's Driveshafts for all of last year, this is a dead discussion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

offroadohio

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Prior to today the last post was you asking me a question.

shadetreebronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I havnt been here in a while but good to see anothet BII owner from CT !