•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Converting a 1987 automatic Bronco ii to manual

Paul Heydon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco ii
I recently purchased a 1987 Bronco ii. It is in great condition but is an automatic. I wanted to buy one with a manual transmission but could not find one that wasn’t rusty. I want to put a manual in it and wanted to find out which manual transmissions I could use that would be the easiest to install? I thought of buying a Ranger with a 2.9 manual to “steal” the parts? What year Rangers have this engine and do the other engines share the same manual transmissions? Thanks and any advice would be appreciated.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Welcome to Bronco Corral...

Take a look here... it breaks down transmissions by year and vehicle. In 87 your bronco II could have had either TK or FM transmission.

Shifters for Ranger, Bronco II, & Explorer – Core Shifters (core-shifters.com)

That said... I would probably opt for upgrading to a M5OD from a slightly newer ranger with a 4.0L. The bolt pattern is the same as a 2.9L. You also use the bigger 4.0L fly wheel and clutch.

This is likely what I will do with mine when if the time comes.

Paul Heydon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco ii
Thanks for the great information. I will look for a Ranger with a 4.0L. Would the other parts work as well? Such as the linkage, pedals, etc.? Will the driveshaft from my 87 Bronco II work or the one from the 4L? Thanks again.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I've never done the actual swap myself... and I certainly don't want to steer you wrong.

Have a look through the tech library over on The Ranger Station. You can probably sort out the entire process with articles posted there.

Be sure to post up your process and results here as you go.

Paul Heydon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco ii
Thanks again. I will let you know how it goes.

Paul Heydon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco ii
What cars and trucks came with the M5OD-R1? Can I use the M5 transmission from the newer Rangers with the SOHC 4L? Thanks.

Paul Heydon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco ii
Does it also matter if it is out of a 2wd or 4x4?

Paul Heydon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco ii
Hi. Brief update: I bought a manual transmission form a 4l 4x4 96 Ranger. I bought a shifter from a 97 Ranger and clutch/brake pedal from a 1987 Bronco ii. I am trying to figure out what the best linkage would be? Thanks.