•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Coolant leak. Water pump??

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger long cab
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
I use Permatex Aviation forma gasket on my cooling system plumbing. and gaskets. I also use it on the bolts in case one goes into a water jacket. To the OP, I would allow a day ,better yet 2 days to do the job. Why so long? Go to Panama Ex P's thread on his B4000 rebuild. Take a look at all the stuff that has to be moved. Last water pump I did on a V8 took an afternoon. If you keep ahead of the coolant leak, you can buy some time. I drove my old BMW to work for a week with a leaking seal until Saturday when I could change the pump. It used a 1/2 gallon of water a trip. It was summer ,so I just carried lots of water. Buy a gallon of antifreeze and cut it in half with water. Carry that in the car. Check the coolant level before use.

houlimon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Sometimes it drips, sometimes it runs out. Sometimes it is just the gasket. There is also a weep hole that you can't see because the pulley is in the way.

I'd get the pulley off and take a better look.
I see the weep hole in my 84 2.8L v6 from the ground and mine seems to be leaking out of that lil hole. the leak started a day after I moved the truck to its new home. the leak is draining my radiator. ill be digging in it tomorrow

Last edited:

Hutcheson600

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Having issure where coolant is steady stream from behind the pulley think its the pump is bad most parts on it were original when I got it it has 53xxx on it supposedly was figuring id see if that was likely issue before I broke my dd apart its a 89 b2 4x4