•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Coolant Temp Sensor

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Life is more fun if you own a Ford Bronco II
I want to change out the coolant temp sensor on my 87 B2. Can anyone show me a photo/diagram where this is located?
Thanks you, LeBronCo

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo

Perkinator104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Do you mind showing a picture of where you found it? My coolant temp guage shows me never getting warm at all, but the engine acted like it wanted to quit and smelled hot when driving long distance on a hot day. Im not really trusting the temp reading.

Bronco 2 man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
Connector may not be getting a good connection! Mine wasn’t working when I got my bii! Little corrosion on the sensor and connector. Cleaned it up and good as new!

Bronco 2 man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
Want to run a mechanical gauge setup sometime in the future! More accurate readings than factory setup! Plus it looks cool and adds 4 hp at the wheel lol! Along with a few window sticker’s!!!

Perkinator104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Want to run a mechanical gauge setup sometime in the future! More accurate readings than factory setup! Plus it looks cool and adds 4 hp at the wheel lol! Along with a few window sticker’s!!!
Do you mean like the alcohol tube thing from the stone age, or some other type of mechanical temp guage?

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
You will have two coolant temp devices. An ECT... used by the computer and a coolant temp sender... used by the gauge. ECT is a two wire sensor... the sender is a single wire.

I chose to leave the factory stuff in place and add aftermarket gauges. I'm using a hose adaptor for the third sender and chose electrical gauges. While I think the old school mechanical gauge with the capillary tube is pretty accurate... the electrical gauges are simpler.

20220622_130530.jpg

Bronco 2 man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
Uncle Gump has got he idea! Guess I should have said electrical so it wouldn’t be no confusion lol! Sorry folks

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do you mind showing a picture of where you found it? My coolant temp guage shows me never getting warm at all, but the engine acted like it wanted to quit and smelled hot when driving long distance on a hot day. Im not really trusting the temp reading.
On the right side of the motor towards the front look down towards the intake. You'll find a wire that attaches to a small sensor on the block. I think a 3/4" ratchet will do the trick. You'll know when some coolant leaks out.

Bronco 2 man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
On the 2.8 it’s kinda on the left side sitting below where the thermostat housing mount’s. Easy to get to and replace!