•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Cost of 4.0 swap

Rupertr88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Anyone know an estimate of how much it would cost for an auto shop to complete the 4.0 swap? If I provided the motor with harness and all how much would labor cost? Has anyone ever done this, it seems like everyone does the swap at home but I don't have the time or the know how to do so. Thank you

MattyIce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I paid $150 for my donor. I swapped an A4LD out of the donor for my 4.0 straight across, bought the M50D from the bone yard for $350. Bought brand new slave/throw out and a brand new clutch set. My buddy helped with the wiring. The whole swap took less than two weeks, most of which was figuring out wiring. It cost around $600.

jmartens

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I'm also curious about the labor cost to have the donor engine rebuilt and installed.

James H

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
My credo
Hold my beer and watch this!
To have a shop do the rebuild and r&r your probably looking at $1500-$2500. With the engine already out, it's about 5-7 hrs to rebuild, and the engine/harness swap is fairly straightforward forward, so the r&r would be around 10-14 hrs. With most shop rates around $75-$120 hr, the cost can add up quickly. Do some shopping and find a shop you trust with a good door price. Don't be afraid to call them and ask for a quote, oh, and don't forget cost of parts... That can be another wild card. Do your research and have your ducks in a row before you pull the trigger to save some cash.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk