•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Cost of new exhaust?

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Alright, I've had enough of my rumble trap exhaust and all the noise it makes...plus it's got more holes in it than a politician's promise...

Anyway, from the Y back the guy told me all new (higher flow Cat), he'd charge me $325...just seems high to me...I was thinking probably $200 mark.

Either way, I'm going to get it done (this guy is honest) and he said I would notice a difference in the way the truck (horsepower) ran but I don't hold a lot of stock in that (he wasn't selling, just stating). So, I should have the power of a 5.0 under there when he gets through - ha!

Fair price?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
That sounds like a fair price especially if they bend up a new tailpipe. My muffeler guy only replaces what is necessary. Have you done anything to the motor is it still running on the computer? What happens to the older 2.8s is the valve guide seals disintegrate. If the engine blows black smoke at startup replace the valve guide seals the oil will destroy the new cat rater quickly. You can replace the seals without removing the heads using air pressure to hold the valves up. Then adjust the valve lash.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_8L_Performance.html

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Have done nothing to the motor...still on the old computer...do get some smoke at startup but the thing leaks like a sif...needs valve cover gaskets in the least and I'm pretty sure front and back main seals...just hate to have it rebuilt when it runs so decent right now (not perfect but she runs pretty darn good)...22-23 mpg...

$1500 to rebuild

$250 - 400 to replace valve cover seals (so why do it until rebuild)

main seals - why bother unless I have a new clutch to put in (hey, it's all out might be the perfect time) so I keep waiting for it to break and then I'll have it rebuilt and put a 4.0 clutch on it if I keep the 2.8...

or get real brave and find a 4.0 donor; have it rebuilt and drop it in...I just don't know if I have the money, the time or the mechanical aptitude to do it...I want to duraspark it but I HATE wiring (it makes absolutely ZERO sense to me)...

If only I could win the lottery...anyway, perhaps I should just wait on the muffler until the rebuild???? And, that valve air thing sounds tricky...I'm not dumb, just mechanically inept and have to learn as I go and I am a SLOW learner...

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
for all OEM fit parts from Y pipe back it is about $500 most of which is cat. Muffler and tailpipe were about $100. Now if you are going special custom, I know some CATs are pretty cheap <$100 so parts cost would be nearly $200. $400 seems somewhat reasonable. Less cat cost but more fit cost.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
I think I paid $78 for the cat at autozone and my muffler guy charged me $40 to install it it took all of 15 minutes. I prefer the little Ma and Pop shops myself. Slap the muffeler with your hand if it is full of stuff it is likely catalist. Do you need to pass emissions if not pull the cat and rod it out. Install a new muffler and run it till it pukes.

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Sounds like a very fair price to me, last one I had done was on a Ranger for about $410 I think it was, Ranger is longer and I wanted it very quiet so I think the muffler was expensive.

Hate wiring?? Thats the best reason TO DO the duraspark conversion, your throwing all the crap out and end up with less than a dozen wires under the hood, AND you end up with a noticable improvement in power and fuel mileage, still a 2.8 so its no race truck but it made a big differance on mine'

Just the valve cover gaskets are cheap and easy to do yourself, I did mine in about 6 beer, I mean hours... well both actually.. lol... and I adjusted the valve lash while I was at it, which is also something anyone can do easily that makes a big differance in power and mileage. Now that Ive done the duraspark I could probably do the gaskets and valve lash in less than 3 hours because theres no junk in the way.

IMO.. for anyone on a budget the 2.8 is great little engine, cheap and easy to maintain even if your still learning mechanics, and it will push a B2 with 30" tires thru pretty much anything.. get every mile out of it you can.

ClaytonBigsby

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Turd.8
I paid $350 for a Dynomax hi flow cat/muff/pipe/tip. Sounds pretty fair to me. The shop that did mine has a great rep.

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Alright gents, after sucking exhaust fumes on the way home Saturday night I got to looking at it Sunday when working on the brakes - yep, the muffler had broke and the pipe had more "magic muffler tape and coat hangers than I could count" so I went to see Steve's today (Ma & Pa Shop that's always been honest and does solid work - did my son's truck - used to be mine and knock on wood has been perfect since).

Anyway, here's some pics of what he did for $300 today (told me he could just do the muffler back for $140 but I said since we're here let's do it all. I like them quiet (my son's truck has a magna flow and a nice rumble exhaust but I wanted the old Bronco II quiet) - I didn't realize it was supposed to sound so quiet. Had a hard time at red lights deciding if I needed to rev it up to keep it going this morning on the way home (it's very cold natured).:icon_welder:

Now, this weekend or next a buddy of mine (very mechanically gifted) and I are going to do the valves per the instructions on here as well as the valve cover gaskets. I'll have to save up for the Duraspark but that will be next and then a clutch and front and rear seal (figure might as well not do the rear seal until I clutch it).

BryanG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Just ordered all new from the Y pipe back from Rock Auto. Will be right at $240 after the $50 rebate on the Walker catalytic converter.

jacobcarl

Reaction score
I want to change my bronco exhaust system to super fire sound. where can i find good fit ?

carman10

Reaction score
You should try one of the lower cost Ford bronco muffler exhaust systems. The affordable models are more likely to produce that sound you want. Unless you are open to buying a glasspack Exhaust and spending the extra money it's going to cost.

wend3lrt

Reaction score
Vehicle
Bronco ii
Dynomax is not expensive and has a nice sound.