•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Could I swap an '06 explorer V6 into an '85 Bronco II

jmcfates

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Hey all I have an '85 Bronco II XLS. I know you can swap a V6 from an early 90's explorer but does anyone know what issues I would run into with swapping in a V6 and transmission from an '06 explorer? I am mostly concerned with how much if any fabrication (of mounts and such) I will need to do. Not so concerned with compatibility of components as I plan to replace most of that anyway.

Last edited:

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
With enough money and skill you can put any motor in there.......the short answer is that it requires too much work. The early 90's 4.0's are OHV engines and pretty much drop right in (a little bit of wiring from what I read). The later 90's ones are SOHC's. The OHC's are the same block as the 2.9L. The SOHC's are different

jmcfates

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
With enough money and skill you can put any motor in there.......the short answer is that it requires too much work. The early 90's 4.0's are OHV engines and pretty much drop right in (a little bit of wiring from what I read). The later 90's ones are SOHC's. The OHC's are the same block as the 2.9L. The SOHC's are different
I appreciate the reply. That is what I needed to know. I was hoping they were the same block but I didn't know for sure.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Well the later 4.0L SOHC will bolt up to your transmission if it has either a 2.9L or 4.0L OHV. The 4.0L SOHC is a different animal.

Some folks are doing this swap simply because they're more readily available and they give you 200 horse bone stock. The real trouble is with the electronics. Several compatibility issues without the other electronics you didn't swap from the donor. It needs some recalibration and tuner time to the ECM to get it to work.