•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Disc Brake Conversion

VaGent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 Bronco II
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
After reading in the Tech section about disc brake conversions, I called SSBC just to get some kind of an idea of what they might cost for the complete bolt on concersion package they have for the BIIs that I am ungrading & restoring. They quotd me $859.00 complete with everything included to convert the system. They also said it could be done easily on a Saturday afternoon. The Saturday afternoon I can handle. The $859.00 is going to take a while longer.

Stainless Steel Brakes Corporation now sells a bolt on rear disc brake conversion for Rangers and Bronco II's. You can contact them Toll Free at 1-800-448-7722 / In NY (716) 759-8666 / Customer & Tech Service (716) 759-8669.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
I got a Explorer 31 spline 8.8 with disc brakes from the factory (makes replacement parts more common and cheaper than a aftermarket kit) with leaf springs for $100 (I pulled it all from a wreck I found on creigslist) All I have to do is weld on new spring perches, shock mounts, drill/tap some holes in the pinion flange (would be a great time to upgrade driveshafts to use the same larger u-joint if I wasn't doing a engine swap that would require a new shaft anyway), stick on a proportioning valve (since I don't have ABS) and I am done.

Including rebuilding the limited slip I should have a tad over $200 in the whole project when it is all said and done. It is probably a little more intensive to do than a bolt on kit (I did luck out and find one with the same gearing that is in my 7.5)

But since my Ranger stops fine with drums the only reasons I am going thru the hassle is for the stronger more common axle, limited slip, and the heavier springs that came with it. Disc brakes compared to properly operating drums in rear of small truck have few advantages on their own, not worth $850+ IMO.