•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

doors off

rangerman84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
what do yall think about takin the doors off your bronco IIs ive seen it done on cherokees and jeeps but aint seen many bII with them off

89PBR96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Check your laws cause it illegal in IL for Vehicles Jeeps are ok wranglers cause they have the 4 inch lip to Keep stuff in the cab I did it on my 99 Cherokee it was a blast but illegal only if you get caught lol

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Not sure on legal or not as there is most of the door still intact, but this is how I did mine.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
i don't have any pics on this computer, but it works, and with a chopped b2 i think it looks cool.

however, it will be illegal due to not having side mirrors. and cops seems to notice if your wearing your seatbelt a bit more for some reason:dunno:. ha

and without doors you realy have no place to hold on when wheeling, kinda scary at times.

i whipped up a set of square tube half doors outta some light gauge 2in square tubing. cost me 32 bucks total. designed them with only 90 and 45 degree bends to keep it simple. works great, there is a thread on here somewhere about it if you interested.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
what do yall think about takin the doors off your bronco IIs ive seen it done on cherokees and jeeps but aint seen many bII with them off
I think that it would be pretty illegal almost anywhere you go and it would be unsafe in any event because you don't have that lip to keep things from falling out.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
there is not supposed to be anything on your floor that can fall out

if there is something on the floor that can fall out...it can impede the controls.

you dont need doors to be legal when properly titled.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
you dont need doors to be legal when properly titled.
Maybe not in Michigan. Here in PA if a cop sees you without a door, you are getting a ticket, unless its a vehicle like a Wrangler that is designed by the manufacturer to be run without them.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
Maybe not in Michigan. Here in PA if a cop sees you without a door, you are getting a ticket, unless its a vehicle like a Wrangler that is designed by the manufacturer to be run without them.
what part of properly titled isnt clear?

and yes pa sukx

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
what part of properly titled isnt clear?

and yes pa sukx
what do you mean properly titled? like a kit car status?

does this take away from having to have side mirrors?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
you have to have mirrors....it has to pass dot federally at min.

and yes once you modify a vehicle to a certain point there are many many ways to homebuild title it...

it all varies state to state.

BUT

dont you hate big butts?

theres always a but isnt there?

anyways......insurance is the limiting factor....and that is a huge fuggin variable in this situation.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
and for the record....i actually love big butts....:D (not cut out of the house big) 5/10 110 pounds just isnt my thing either

Last edited:

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
as a former state safety inspector here in utah we were instructed to fail vehicles with removed doors that were not on a list of vehicles that had been designed with removable doors.

nothing about crap falling out. its about the structural integrity that is lost when taking the doors off. factory vehicles like wranglers have added support to compensate for no doors

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
find a way to put on side mirrors and i think you'll be fine, as soon as i get my BII running, i'm yanking off the doors and rear hatch. i rode around raleigh with mine off and never got pulled over, i had to put them back on to pass inspection though cause you have to have side mirrors

Little X

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have side mirrors from a CJ-7 on mine. They look good, keep me legal (in VA), and actually function better then my stock mirrors (I can see more). I just drilled 2 holes in each of my 1/4 panels to bolt them down. Then I took the 1/4's down to a welding shop and had them weld the nuts onto the back of the 1/4's. That way I don't have to take the 1/4's off every time I put on/take off the mirrors and doors.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
I have side mirrors from a CJ-7 on mine. They look good, keep me legal (in VA), and actually function better then my stock mirrors (I can see more). I just drilled 2 holes in each of my 1/4 panels to bolt them down. Then I took the 1/4's down to a welding shop and had them weld the nuts onto the back of the 1/4's. That way I don't have to take the 1/4's off every time I put on/take off the mirrors and doors.
thats what i want to do! but as of now, i'm just winging it. i have been pulled over a time or two, and they don't even notice. not saying thats the way to do it tho..

and i'm all about the 110pds fyi... big butt or not. and red heads are best!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
as a former state safety inspector here in utah we were instructed to fail vehicles with removed doors that were not on a list of vehicles that had been designed with removable doors.

nothing about crap falling out. its about the structural integrity that is lost when taking the doors off. factory vehicles like wranglers have added support to compensate for no doors
well thats exactly it isnt it? certainly there is a oem list....and when my custom rig comes up to get inspected for its custom title with ...say some sort of of high visibility tubes for doors or rocker boatsided rocker extensions making the opening exponantionally stronger then the oem offering...or a combination of those two... you would be amending that list to add my home built to it.

happens everyday. then i get to pay some insurance company 2500 a year or more for avc/or some other custom policy on my creation so i can drive it down the road.

of course thats the cost of being free.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
well thats exactly it isnt it? certainly there is a oem list....and when my custom rig comes up to get inspected for its custom title with ...say some sort of of high visibility tubes for doors or rocker boatsided rocker extensions making the opening exponantionally stronger then the oem offering...or a combination of those two... you would be amending that list to add my home built to it.

happens everyday. then i get to pay some insurance company 2500 a year or more for avc/or some other custom policy on my creation so i can drive it down the road.

of course thats the cost of being free.
and yes monthly updates to the list are emailed to all stations, as are any monthly changes in laws. the "list" isn't a physical piece of paper that the i/m station refers to. the inspector actually calls the highway patrol's office and gives them the vin and the highway patrol will give a thumbs up or thumbs down

here in utah getting a "kit"-class title is next to impossible. i tried on my 1988 bII and god help you if you use a body that the highway patrol can i dentify as a factory body (to get a kit title the first inspection must be performed by the highway patrol, not an i/m station) and if the highway patrol can identify that you did not manufacture even the smallest part of the body they will inspect it as either the vehicle the body parts are from or just reject it as "true vehicle unknown"

thats for the safety inspection

for the emissions the exact same rules apply except the health department is one who does the first emissions test. and they can tell factory body parts a mile away too. and i ended up just sticking with "1988 bronco ii" because if i titled it as "kit" the emissions standards for model year 2010 cars would be held against me as opposed to the looser 1988 model year standards

and either way for the love of god do not let either place see a factory vin, or the fact that you removed a factory vin because either way its not a kit car because it has an existing vin, or you removed the vin of a factory car which is illegal as hell

that being said your "highly visible" strengthening would not be accepted but small, simple, tubular "half" doors are totally acceptable. but if it looks safe most inspectors don't follow the law to the letter anyway so they pass it. if it looked dangerous they'd fail it

Last edited:

rangerman84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
well i asked a highway patrol man the other day ( my step dad) and he said i could do it i would just look red neck as hell but i like the way it looks thanks for the information

Little X

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
well i asked a highway patrol man the other day ( my step dad) and he said i could do it i would just look red neck as hell but i like the way it looks thanks for the information
In NC you do need a 4" lip and 2 rearward facing mirrors. Most cops don't know/care about the 4" lip though.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I had plans on doing the door removal on my 89 also but after seeing the trip 1/2 doors that BONES did on his I might just do that. Just need to figure a way to make some removable windows for the 1/2 doors,preferably from clear plastic like the Jeep soft top doors.