•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Duals on a 4x4 Bronco II

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
How hard is it to do? I'm thinking of buying headers for my 2.9 and running 2 1/4 duals out the back. I plan on doing true duals with 2 cats and 2 mufflers, but I'm stuck on how to do the o2 sensor... can I wire in 2 of them? or should I create a crossover pipe like the stock y pipe that's on there?

Thanks

Ben

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Reaction score
If you want duals, your best bet is to split them after the muffler.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
could you run true duals w/ an h pipe and have the o2 sensor in there w/o any problems? just curious and want to help the guy. a single in dual out muffler would be his best/easiest route.

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nothing current
Vehicle
Ford
could you run true duals w/ an h pipe and have the o2 sensor in there w/o any problems? just curious and want to help the guy. a single in dual out muffler would be his best/easiest route.
I would imagine. As long as you have the o2 sensor hooked up and reading the exhaust from both pipes, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. the only problem I see with trying to run true duals on these is that the gas tank would get in the way. That's why I would run single in dual out, but hey, if he's got the drive to do it, more power to him :icon_thumby:

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My '86 parts truck had the 2.9, the y-pipe had a crossover in it with the 02 senser in the middle. From there both pipes went into the first cat, cut it off before the first cat and the computer wouldn't know the difference... unless they drastically changed something for '87.

2.25" is kinda big for a 2.9 with true duals, I would go with 2". I have 2.25" duals on my 5.4 and I think it is about perfect.

BII's with the fuel tank in the rear will make running it out the back tough though.

Last edited:

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
im not familiar w/ the placement of the tank on a b2 so pardon my ignorance on this question, if its wide like the tire rack on a ranger can he simply put the pipes to the side of it and behind the tires or would he be better off doing front of tire 45 or 90 degree dumps?

blackwidow67

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
the only problem I see with trying to run true duals on these is that the gas tank would get in the way.:
if im not mistaken, isnt the b2 gas tank in the back where the spare tire would be on the ranger, if so, then he can run true duals. another option is to do a split pipe after the cat, of to 2 mufflers, then pipes out the back

MJ'sBlkBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9 V6
If you split after the cat, you may as well just run a SI/DO muffler. Will be more room that way. IMO you will get a god awful sound running true duals on a small v6. For sound and performance I'd suggest a simple headers, y-pipe, cat if your running one, 2-2.25" pipe, to a good straight through muffler, more pipe to an echo tip, say 2.5" that you like, straight out the rear. This is about what came on mine, and it doesn't sound bad. I haven't gotten the headers yet either. Gotta get running again first.

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
if im not mistaken, isnt the b2 gas tank in the back where the spare tire would be on the ranger, if so, then he can run true duals. another option is to do a split pipe after the cat, of to 2 mufflers, then pipes out the back
this is true. Gas tank on a BII is between the rear axle and the rear bumper.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
you can run true duals on a truck with a saddle tank (i have them on my ranger) or a vehicle with a rear tank, like a BII.

the fuel tank isnt the problem on either vehicle...the front driveshaft IS. it requires the drivers bank to cross over to the passenger side, like the original Y-pipe does. the pipes can then diverge at a later point if the pipes are to run out both sides.

true duals should always have some sort of equalizer (an h-pipe or x-pipe). without it, the engine will sound bad and loose power. in the case of the 2.9 and its single O2 sensor, i would run an X-pipe with the O2 stuck right in the middle. i would be worried that the O2 stuck in an H-pipe might not read correctly or respond fast enough to mixture changes.

split duals are a waste of time and money IMO. they sound the same as single, but add the weight and complexity of duals. true duels sounds decent on a v-6.

broncoworld

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
on my bronco II the o2 senser isn't even plugged in so I wouldn't even worry about it

shadetreebronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have duel's on my 75 , no cats and plenty of room but the heat from both so close to the gas tank would often boil the gas out of the filler .
This would happen on trails and it really sounded like boiling , i would't fill the tank all the way to prevent this.