•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Electrical Issue

Ricky Brewster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have an 1987 Bronco 2, the last couple months the bronco would only start if i times the turning of the key just right but then it would start no problem. I would turn the key to run, wait a second until the electronics clicked on then turn the key to start. Just the other day when I went to start it no electronics even clicked on. I replaced the ignition switch and put in a brand new battery and all of the electronics will work except for the radio (even with the battery charged hooked up). I have power at the ignion switch and at the starter solenoid where the battery cable goes into the starter solenoid. I do not know what else to check, any thoughts? Thanks for the help!

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Confirm you checked the fuse? Was radio an issue prior to replacement of ignition switch?

Ricky Brewster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
The radio was not an issue before and every fuse I have checked is fine. I do not know if there is a fuse box under the hood, I cannot see any sign of one.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Factory or aftermarket radio?

Ricky Brewster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Aftermarket radio. I might not have been clear enough in the original post. The truck still won't start or do anything, just the ding for the door will come on, the lights, and the horn work and that's it

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
There is a fuse panel under the hood.......passenger side on the fender liner right next to the air cleaner assembly. Large fuses....

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Off the top of my head, fusible link (on the wiring diagram shows Dark Blue rear left hand fender apron) or starter solenoid.
Of course the new switch could be bad.

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Ok let’s deal with the no start issue. Does the engine turn over or not. When you turn on the key does do the warning lights and whatnot on the dash come in as normal. If your rig is an automatic try starting in neutral. If that doesn’t work jump across the solenoid with the key on and see if you get the engine to turn over. If it’s a stick shift check the clutch switch as it requires clutch pedal to be pushed to start. You can pull the connector and jump across it to bypass for testing.

Ricky Brewster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
It's not turning over at all. I just replaced the starter solenoid and I am getting mixed results as far as what electronics are coming on. Sometimes it's nothing and sometimes it's everything but the radio. I noticed that my ground wire from the battery to the frame had the plastic covering coming off and the bare wire had oil on it. I got a new ground wire but have not had a chance to test it out yet. I have fusible links next to the air box but I cannot see any way of testing them individually. I took the air box out and I cannot see any other fuses other than those fusible links.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Left hand is drivers side.
I had this happen on a Ranger way back, corrosion had eaten the inside of my battery cable. it looked fine but if you actually felt the cable there was a soft spot. that's how i found it. it was a few inches from the end of the cable.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
With the electrical working sporadically I would suspect a bad wire connection or corroded wire. Check all grounds. From battery to engine, bat to fender, bat to starter, engine to firewall, computer ground to body.
Google " voltage drop test" and check your connections.
A good battery will show at least 12.8 volts. Middle of life is 12.5 volts. End of life is 12.2 volts, plan on getting new battery.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
With the electrical working sporadically I would suspect a bad wire connection or corroded wire. Check all grounds. From battery to engine, bat to fender, bat to starter, engine to firewall, computer ground to body.
Google " voltage drop test" and check your connections.
A good battery will show at least 12.8 volts. Middle of life is 12.5 volts. End of life is 12.2 volts, plan on getting new battery.
As always, good advice.

Ricky Brewster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I noticed the negative wire from the battery to the frame had lost much of the plastic and had oil on it so I replaced that and even cleaned were the cable connects to the frame. I currently cannot get anything to turn on but have just shy of 13 volts at the battery. Thank you everyone for your suggestions

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
The wire from neg battery post should go to frame and then to engine block to a bolt just below the exhaust manifold. There should also be a small ground wire from the post to the upper radiator support. Without ground nothing works.

Gen. Maintenance

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
I’m a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess....
I had a similar issue and found that my starter relay had crapped out and when it did it fried a lot of stuff mainly the fusable link to the eec located on the passenger side of the engine compartment next to the air box if it’s stick it will be brown. I’ll attach a link on how to trouble shoot this. You can check for grounds and everything with it. Also the ground for this relay is the one with its own connector coming off the battery negative.