•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Electronic 4x4 4lo blinking(does not apply)

eduardox88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.9
Hi guys,

My Bronco II 87 with electric 4x4 shift is giving me some problems. First of all I bought it and 4x4 did not work. I did some test found in rangerstation and detected my motor was bad (was broken and I didn't hear the clicking sound when I pressed 4x4 buttons). When I ordered the motor my t-case start sounding weird and after that I can't move the t-case manually,seems like I leaved it in a bad position and something got broken inside :(

Well, the thing is, I had the motor now and I want to assure that my electric system works before I take it to repair the t-case so I will test in front of the guy when he fix the t-case to guarantee the work.

Right now I plug the motor (removed from t-case) and apply 4x4hi and all works good, the problem is with 4x4lo that when I pressed the button start blinking and I hear no clicking sound. I have a manual bronco and I connected the clutch sensor and speed sensor, both are good and the scanner don't throw those codes now only the Neutral switch because is disconnected and don't see the wiring that connects to it. (I have read it's not necessary for manual).

¿How can I detect what it's happening? I will appreciate your help.

Last edited:

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
eduardox88

Sorry man that is why I looked and looked to find a BII with manual hubs and automatic transmission, did not want to deal with the electric 4x4 shift thing.

Dennis

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I'm thinking that you should not have a NSS error with a manual. That would be for an automatic. Could you have computer from Automatic BroncoII in there?
Was clutch pedal pushed down when you tested?

eduardox88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.9
I'm thinking that you should not have a NSS error with a manual. That would be for an automatic. Could you have computer from Automatic BroncoII in there?
Was clutch pedal pushed down when you tested?
No, my computer is the original one. My transmission is a Toyo Koygo TK5, it has the NSS but disconnected and the scanner is throwing me the error.

I fixed my t-case, my 4x4 high apply perfectly and smooth but continue with 4x4low blinking.

It's true that manual ones doesn't need the NSS? I'm thinking on identify and connect the wires.

Please help me. I tested clutch switch signal in module and is ok.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
No, my computer is the original one. My transmission is a Toyo Koygo TK5, it has the NSS but disconnected and the scanner is throwing me the error.

I fixed my t-case, my 4x4 high apply perfectly and smooth but continue with 4x4low blinking.

It's true that manual ones doesn't need the NSS? I'm thinking on identify and connect the wires.

Please help me. I tested clutch switch signal in module and is ok.
Looking in the shop manual I see mention of a Neutral position wire for the manual trans. It may be that the computer needs to know the gearshift is in the neutral position before engaging 4-Lo. but... the owners manual makes no mention of that and only says that clutch pedal must be depressed.

Worst case, you can try a "shiftster".

eduardox88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.9
Looking in the shop manual I see mention of a Neutral position wire for the manual trans. It may be that the computer needs to know the gearshift is in the neutral position before engaging 4-Lo. but... the owners manual makes no mention of that and only says that clutch pedal must be depressed.

Worst case, you can try a "shiftster".
I ordered NSS and I have the diagram to connect it, I will do when new sensor arrive.

What means shiftster?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Shiftster is device that replaces the electric motor and lets you change the transfer case manually. The downside is that you have to get under the truck to change the settings.

eduardox88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.9
Shiftster is device that replaces the electric motor and lets you change the transfer case manually. The downside is that you have to get under the truck to change the settings.
Oh I have seen this on the internet but is complicated, in such case I prefer to change to a BW1350 Manual tcase.

Let me try next week connecting the NSS and also will test the ohm of the speed sensor.

We will keep in touch.

UPDATE: I connected the NSS, now the scanner give me code 11 System OK no more errors but 4x4low doesn't apply yet... I'm getting frustrated... Another thing I did was check the ohm in the speed sensor connector and it read 0.945-0.950 k ohm... This is weird because my cousin's bronco II speed sensor read 94.5ohm.

My speed sensor is new, I did the connection the same as my cousin bronco II. Can this be the problem (high ohm) with the 4x4low?

Thanks!

Last edited:

eduardox88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.9
Hey guys,

I was wrong... I always thought that the VSS was the one that use the 4x4 module but it uses it's own electromagnetic speed sensor. I have read a lot of post in different forums but nobody specify this.

I ordered a new one because mine gave me 15 ohm and the normal range is something like 235-470. I think with this my problem will be solved.

eduardox88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.9
Hey guys,

I was wrong... I always thought that the VSS was the one that use the 4x4 module but it uses it's own electromagnetic speed sensor. I have read a lot of post in different forums but nobody specify this.

I ordered a new one because mine gave me 15 ohm and the normal range is something like 235-470. I think with this my problem will be solved.

Hey Guys,

Problem solved! I have a working 4x4 High and Low :D:D
The system is easier than we think, only Electromagnetic Speed Sensor (shown in a post above this one) and the clutch switch needed apart of the motor and module NOTHING ELSE. The neutral switch is NOT needed in manual bronco's.

The Speed sensor part# is E6TZ-7F293-A.

If someone have problem with this 4x4 system ask me and I can help you detect where the problem is.

Thanks.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Good job !!!

FIFER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Where is this sensor located ???
Thanks , Mike

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Hey Guys,

Problem solved! I have a working 4x4 High and Low :D:D
The system is easier than we think, only Electromagnetic Speed Sensor (shown in a post above this one) and the clutch switch needed apart of the motor and module NOTHING ELSE. The neutral switch is NOT needed in manual bronco's.

The Speed sensor part# is E6TZ-7F293-A.

If someone have problem with this 4x4 system ask me and I can help you detect where the problem is.

Thanks.
Yeah the neutral switch won't prevent low range engagement. You just have to press the clutch pedal to the floor and be completely stopped for the shift to complete, and if I recall you have to engage 4x4 high range first before you can then shift to low range. If I recall you can't go from 2WD to low range?

Glad you got it sorted out though, having a non-working 4x4 system is pretty pointless LOL.