•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Finally doing my 4.0 swap

TillamookB2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
After many years of wishing my 88 Bronco II had a 4.0, I have finally begun. I have the 2.9 out and off to the side and my 4.0, which came from a 1992 Explorer, is on the engine stand.
The Bronco's engine bay and the 4.0 are both covered in a thick layer of grime. I have a pressure washer here. Aside from covering the intake, exhaust, alternator, and distributor, are there any precautions I may have forgotten about?
The plan is to spray a nice degreaser on, let it soak, and blast it off.
Thanks for the help!

SenorNoob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Sounds good to me.

I've seen my dad use the car wash on an engine that was warm. It seemed like a good way to crack a block or something to me.

BTW, no distributor. Just a crankshaft position sensor, ignition control module, and coil pack.

What do you have planned for the wiring? Dash swap? (I'm on a crusade to save all the first gen dashes.)

TillamookB2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
No dash swap. I like my old dash. It has the same oldschool feel that the sealed beams do. Someday, I'd like to remove the tail lights, weld in fill panels, and mount some oldschool tails with side markers.

I pulled the electronic distributor thing off the motor, so I don't need to worry. I have the computer and wiring harness from it all the way up to the front. I wasn't able to get the wiring from the driver's side. I had to suddenly move and the Explorer had to be scrapped, as I couldn't take it with me. If I need more wiring, theres junk yards all over with many of the same Explorers. Thankfully, I have the wiring diagrams for both vehicles.

So far, the 2.9 is out of my Bronco and the 4.0 is on the engine stand for cleaning and gaskets. I figure I might as well do gaskets and seals while its easy. I'm on a very tight budget, so I can't do everything I want to.