•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Finally Found One!

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
We finally tracked one down!

Actually two!

And one was even a Cactus Gray Black Diamond (although a Sasquatch 2dr)

2.3 10spd slushbox just like ours

The hero buttons, ours won't have the front locker but will have the rest of them.

At 6'3" with the seat all the way back or even ahead one notch I was very comfortable. The pump up seat to adjust the height should have happened decades ago!

The handles feel good and are rubberized.

Lassos on the tie downs...

The rock rails look pretty decent

The front bashplate would probably be good to upgrade if you intend on really using it...

I had wondered about it and I do really like how the mesh top can live below the MIC hardtop so you don't have to take one off to put the other on. You just take the hardtop off and the mesh is already there.

I don't know what kind of electro digical spin on 1930's kerosene powered tractor tech I am looking at... but I don't think I like it.

Lots of plastic in places under the hood I would just as soon not have it... sign of the times I guess.

Not sure what is going on with the adhesive to bind the inner hood structure to the outer hood skin. I couldn't get it to move independent of each other so it is still holding but it sure looks like it is separating apart..

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
And they had a Outer Banks which is probably my least favorite trim.

It had a 2.7/10 speed automatic

And I didn't notice at first but they have a body color patch on the inside of the doors.

I went back and compared with the CG one to confirm it wasn't something tied to the OB interior color scheme. People have made a lot of noise about the Navy Pier interior, at least for white I like it (I could see it clashing with some exterior colors though)

Anyway, initial impressions.

Seats are very comfortable. Everybody raves about how awesome the MGV is... I remain skeptical. It feels pretty thin to me, it reminds me of the padded vinyl on my grandparent's card table we used to eat on during the holidays if you know what I mean. I guess I was expecting something tougher feeling like I guess ag grade vinyl if that is even a thing (like the stuff they make tractor seats out of)

The windshield is weird. It is like they used a normal dash and just hinged the windshield more vertical, the windshield and top edge seems like a long ways away. But looking at pictures of me in it it doesn't really look that far away? Windshield/forward visibility feels like a gunport on a bunker. That is probably the biggest downer I had on the thing, the windshield dynamic just felt weird in ways I couldn't quite put my finger on in the short time I got to play with them. The pump adjustable seat it is an awesome invention to get past the too high/too low debacle.

People make noise about the dash feeling cheap, tapping on it like I will never do in actual ownership I couldn't really get that vibe. The console kind of did, I got to wondering on the way home if a guy pulled it apart and stuck that noise cancelling stuff on the inside if that would kill the echo noise.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Test drove a Black Diamond w/Sasquatch this week.
I love the look but was underwhelmed overall. 10K in add-ons and dealer mark up didn't help.
At the sticker price of 49K, I'd buy it for nostalgia sake.
Impressions:
Not so good;
Ride was not so great. Little bumps hit hard, tough to imagine wheeling it without taking a beating.
There seems to be not a lot of compliance for an off road suspension.
Tires were 6 psi overinflated at 45psi, but still..
Feels small inside, width wise. BII definitely feels roomier. I think this mostly the tall center console.
Back seat, LOL
Room behind back seats, LOL, LOL
Not enough storage up front, one of the add-ons was a console safe which made this even worse.
Sticker says 17mpg, computer was mid 15's, neither is great but there's a price for 35's

Good;
Looks awesome
Steers great, didn't notice any bump steer, tracked straight on highway. Far easier to drive on the highway than my Wrangler on 35's was.
Sync 4 seemed very responsive
Good seating and driving position
Great visibility
Good torque and throttle response (2.7L)

I wonder how a Badlands without the Sasquatch package would look and drive.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I'd rather just have the base model 2 door. Nothing in the higher end offroad models that I need or want...I don't venture offroad far enough to need a lift, oversized tires, and lockers...I wish they'd offer a factory limited slip, that would be plenty for anything I'd ever venture into...my 87 Ranger is a 4x2 and open diff, and my 88 Bronco 2 is 4x4 with an open diff, and don't have any issues with either so I don't need the higher end models....but a 2 door base model would be great I think....too bad they want so much for one, I'll just have to keep my 88 Bronco 2 going for another 20 years so I can afford one of the current models by then HAHA!!!

So which engine would be the better one to go with for longevity? Both are unfortunately turbo-charged which I'm not a fan of, but is the 2.3L or 2.7L a better option for a long term ownership? If I spend that kind of money I'll have to drive it for 10-15 years at a minimum. I don't like having to buy new vehicles, so I want to get into the right one. I don't need a tow vehicle, I have my Explorer and soon to be getting my old F250 back for those duties. The only thing I'd do would be to upgrade to an all terrain snow rated tire package.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I'd rather just have the base model 2 door. Nothing in the higher end offroad models that I need or want...I don't venture offroad far enough to need a lift, oversized tires, and lockers...I wish they'd offer a factory limited slip, that would be plenty for anything I'd ever venture into...my 87 Ranger is a 4x2 and open diff, and my 88 Bronco 2 is 4x4 with an open diff, and don't have any issues with either so I don't need the higher end models....but a 2 door base model would be great I think....too bad they want so much for one, I'll just have to keep my 88 Bronco 2 going for another 20 years so I can afford one of the current models by then HAHA!!!

So which engine would be the better one to go with for longevity? Both are unfortunately turbo-charged which I'm not a fan of, but is the 2.3L or 2.7L a better option for a long term ownership? If I spend that kind of money I'll have to drive it for 10-15 years at a minimum. I don't like having to buy new vehicles, so I want to get into the right one. I don't need a tow vehicle, I have my Explorer and soon to be getting my old F250 back for those duties. The only thing I'd do would be to upgrade to an all terrain snow rated tire package.
I'd recommend the 4 cyl for you. One less turbo to go bad and replace. I'll guess you take it easy on your vehicles and won't need the extra HP and TQ of the twin turbo v6.

A base model with upgraded tires and a LS or possibly an after market air or electric locker does have some appeal.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I'd recommend the 4 cyl for you. One less turbo to go bad and replace. I'll guess you take it easy on your vehicles and won't need the extra HP and TQ of the twin turbo v6.

A base model with upgraded tires and a LS or possibly an after market air or electric locker does have some appeal.
Thanks for the recommendation, I was thinking the same engine as well. I try to be pretty easy on my vehicles, they have to last me 10+ years, can't afford to be replacing them every couple years with the ridiculous prices they carry anymore. For me it would just be a daily driver, go to the hills camping vehicle...no towing, or really any offroading other than gravel roads and an occasional dirt/forest service/logging road, but I usually only go up in those areas in the summer time, so no mudding, or anything of that nature at least I try to avoid it as I hate having to clean stuff up afterwards for one, and it just leads to breaking stuff.

I would certainly be replacing the tires with something more all terrain type and snow rated. A limited slip of some type would most likely be all I'd really need...I've never had a vehicle with a locker, and never felt like I needed one.

I think if I wanted to do some offroading I'd take my Bronco 2, I wouldn't feel nearly as bad scratching or denting it as I would a new vehicle LOL.

Probably be a year or 2 before I'm ready to buy, and hope by then the manufacturing processes have caught up LOL.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I had a 2013 F150 2wd with an e-locker. The e-locker was great. The 2wd struggled from a stop in the snow/ice, traction control can only do so much.
Clicking on the e-locker made all the difference. Ford had it set to automatically turn off at 25 mph but that was ok because once it was rolling it was good.

I tried the Ford configurator, I had not realized you could add Sasquatch to a base model. It looks like you cant get a front locker with it but a base model with Sasquatch??? Hmmm...

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I tried the Ford configurator, I had not realized you could add Sasquatch to a base model. It looks like you cant get a front locker with it but a base model with Sasquatch??? Hmmm...
Yeah that was a surprise to many... and you can get a 2022 Basequatch with the 7 speed manual.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Yeah that was a surprise to many... and you can get a 2022 Basequatch with the 7 speed manual.
Kind of defeats the purpose of a base model I'd think especially for the what $6k+ price tag, might as well just get the offroad model why would you order a base model and add the offroad package, wouldn't it make more sense to just get the offroad model? That's what didn't make sense to me.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Looks like it saves ~4K over the next model . The add-on price stays the same on the next model up.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
There are a ton of variables in the line up. In fact I believe there is to much "line up". I think they should have just done just a "First Edition" for MY 2021.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
You'd think that with all of the production problems they have had they would have simplified the lineup.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Be sure to show it off when you get it.

I was thinking if I actually ordered one it would have been Black Diamond Sasquatch.

I invested in some older Bronco II iron to scratch the Bronco itch for awhile.

When do you expect your new ride to be delivered?

86isuzu

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Suspension Style
4wd
Oh I sure will.

Dealer estimated 4th quarter 2022. I really hope it doesn't take that long.

I'm excited to add something new and safe to my fleet.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Oh I sure will.

Dealer estimated 4th quarter 2022. I really hope it doesn't take that long.

I'm excited to add something new and safe to my fleet.
When we ordered ours our dealer estimated last July...

There is a ton of factors but the fact of the matter this year was if they don't have parts to build yours they will not shut the plant down until they have the parts to build yours.

Kind of defeats the purpose of a base model I'd think especially for the what $6k+ price tag, might as well just get the offroad model why would you order a base model and add the offroad package, wouldn't it make more sense to just get the offroad model? That's what didn't make sense to me.
There is not an "offroad model" on par with the Sasquatch package. Badlands is about as close as it gets and you only get 33's with it.

Being able to add Sasquatch to every trim is a beautiful thing. Don't want all the fancy crap? Basesquatch it is.

The alternative is like Jeep where if you want a Rubicon you get all the bells and whistles because the only way to get the good stuff is on the top trim.

86isuzu

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Suspension Style
4wd
And with Jeep, A/C is an option! Which surprised the hell out of me.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
When we ordered ours our dealer estimated last July...

There is a ton of factors but the fact of the matter this year was if they don't have parts to build yours they will not shut the plant down until they have the parts to build yours.

There is not an "offroad model" on par with the Sasquatch package. Badlands is about as close as it gets and you only get 33's with it.

Being able to add Sasquatch to every trim is a beautiful thing. Don't want all the fancy crap? Basesquatch it is.

The alternative is like Jeep where if you want a Rubicon you get all the bells and whistles because the only way to get the good stuff is on the top trim.
For me the base model would be just fine, my 88 Bronco 2 will go wherever I'd ever feel like going, so I'd think a 30+ year newer vehicle should at least be able to do that LOL. I just wish they'd at least offer a limited slip option in the base model without having to pay $6k+ for a bunch of stuff I don't need....I assume the rear differential is a standard Ford rear axle so aftermarket stuff would most likely be an easy add-on, so that would easily and economically solve the lack of a limited slip from the factory issue that some might have...The only vehicle I've had with a limited slip was my 98 Grand Cherokee, and it worked just fine for anything I'd ever need, my Bronco 2 has open diffs, and haven't had any issues so if at some point I feel like I need more traction assistance a limited slip in the after market would most likely do the trick. Mostly would just be a daily driver, a few back roads up to camping spots which generally you could drive in a car, and a few forest service roads occasionally, which during most of the year are easily passable in a 2WD car or pickup....only time there's a bit of an issue would be late fall and early spring with rain/snow possible that causes some areas to be a bit muddy at times.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
I thought I had posted these here, I guess not. I came across a 4dr on the way back from the roundup. Ranger has a 3" BL Explorer suspension, is on 31's and is at full combat load for a camping/vacation trip.

Bronco's OAL and wheelbase is pretty similar to a longbed first gen Ranger.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I'd rather have a 2 door Bronco LOL...that 4 door thing ain't a Bronco, just a squared off version of an Explorer. Why is it automakers bring back vehicle names but they grow extra sets of doors.

The 4 door Bronco looks quite a bit wider than a 1st Gen...or rather any version of an actual compact Ranger from 1983-2011. Looks to be about a foot shorter than the Ranger parked next to it in a 4 door configuration, bet the 2 door is more a long the lines of the original Bronco size from the 60's except probably wider.