•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Flowtech Raptor?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
I was given a Flowtech Raptor a few days ago and I'd like to put it on my B2. Anybody know how one sounds on a 2.9?

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Ah that sucks! I was hoping for a deeper sound, can't stand the ricer "fart can" sound. I have been looking into a Flowmaster lately though so I'll probably grab one ASAP. I'm going to put on the raptor in a few weeks just to check it out, when I do i'll post a clip. Thanks for the help

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I just bought a '90 Bronco 2 with 2.9 and it's got a raptor on it. I didn't even know it was there until I was under the truck working on it, sounds 100% stock.

I don't know if it's normal for these to have 2 cats, but that would certainly make it quieter. Local exhaust shop has some mufflers called Flow sound, or flosound, something like that. It looks and sounds identical to a flowmaster but is about 25% cheaper. I've got one on my '02 F-150 FX4 5.4L and it's just loud enough to notice, really mellow. I'm probably going to put one on the B2.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
it is normal for it to have a precat and cat on the motor, i changed mine out w/ a 3'' magnaflow high flow cat, freed up the top end and done well on my 3.0. ive had a raptor on it b4, wasnt too bad, w/ it and the two fart cans inline it sounded stock all the way across the band, but when i backfired the one time i blew the casing in half, so i put a super 44 in its place. then i seen a slight mileage loss so i got rid of the fart cans and it sounded decent just at higher rpms it made a monotonous roar til it opened up the rest of the way, wasnt bad but roaring to say the least w/ the flowmaster.

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
alrighty then. Didn't realize that was common on vehicles built pre-OBDII. I think every other pre-OBD2 car I've had either had a single cat on both legs of a y-pipe or a single cat after the y-pipe came together. Seeing two in series in the same pipe on an 18 year old truck was unfamiliar to me.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
the y pipe came together and about 8 inches after they joined i had an 8 inch precat and a 24 inch cat both 2 1/2 in diameter, so when i put the 14 by 3 inch high flow cat it made a good bit of difference. the older cats are the old ball type that restrict a lot, the race cat is made of the platinum screen elements that you can see daylight thru, thats also a good difference. so if your cat rots out id recomment having that put on and 2 1/4 pipe from the cat back to whatever muffler you choose on the 6 cylinders, not so sure about the 4s. the 2 1/4 has excellent flow characteristics and helps w/ the sound. the 2 1/4 pipe is cheaper than 2 1/2 too, and the sound gets hollow the larger the pipe gets. that and i dont see using 2 1/2 for better flow unless your turbocharging or running over 275 cubic inches.

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
the 2 1/4 has excellent flow characteristics and helps w/ the sound. the 2 1/4 pipe is cheaper than 2 1/2 too, and the sound gets hollow the larger the pipe gets. that and i dont see using 2 1/2 for better flow unless your turbocharging or running over 275 cubic inches.
that's what I'd planned. A lot of folks seem to like the 2-1/2" but I used that on a 200rwhp 2.8L 6cyl Datsun 280Z with a significant amount of head porting, bored to 2.9, big cam, equal length header, triple 2barrel carbs and a 7,000RPM redline. I just don't see the stock 2.9 needing that much pipe.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
2 1/2 is more for 300 cubic inch engines, and 3 inch for 18+ psi boost on 250 ci or 400 or more n/a cubic inches.

Roddy1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
had one of these on my old truck... lasted about 8 months....