•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Front Bumper for 1990 Bronco II

jbby

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Hello All,

I’m new to the whole forum thing so please forgive me in advance! I’ve been researching front bumpers and have come across what appears to be the exact same front bumper on two different sites, however one site says that it fits 1984-1990 and the other site says it fits 1984-1988. Here are the links...
I’m hoping you experts out there can help a girl out. What exactly is the difference in years in regards to the mounting? Is it actually where the mounting points are? Or is the difference because of changes in body style?
Also, check out my bronco II and let me know what you think/any advice. Thank you!!

Attachments

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Give Affordable a call or use their chat system and ask them. It may just be that they didn't have a 89-90 to try fitment.
I keep looking at that bumper. Just don't know if I want the extra weight on the front end. They also make a winch bumper, but again more weight.

jbby

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Thanks Jerry! I’ll probably call them and inquire. I saw the other bumper as well and I like that one too, but it also says 84-88. I’m also looking at a used brush guard but can’t decide what I like best.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
I can't help on the bumper, but that ride of yours is really sweet!

jbby

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I can't help on the bumper, but that ride of yours is really sweet!
Thank you so much! There’s quite a bit of things we’ve done so far and still so much more to go. It never ends!

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
It is my belief that the bumpers are interchangeable between all years of B2's (they used the same frames throughout production). Human error might be the main cause of the difference in listings. I have an 89' XLT and my bumpers are different than yours (I have no rubber inserts on mine). Is yours an Eddie Bauer Edition?

jbby

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
It is my belief that the bumpers are interchangeable between all years of B2's (they used the same frames throughout production). Human error might be the main cause of the difference in listings. I have an 89' XLT and my bumpers are different than yours (I have no rubber inserts on mine). Is yours an Eddie Bauer Edition?
Hey Duffy,
I’m not 100% sure what sub model I have, although I looked up my VIN online and it says it’s XL series. I’m pretty sure this is the stock bumper but it does have that plastic trim on the bottom that I have not noticed in other pictures of B2’s. Maybe the previous owner put it on...
I’m gonna check it out later today to see where the mounting points are/etc.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
There is a difference in mounting between 1st and second gen b2. IIRC 83 to 86 and 87 to 90. Could be 88 to 90....
Edit; ok....89 to 90.
The early ones mount directly to the front of a round frame rail, the later have arms that mount to the side of the frame rail.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Looking at the pics, they use arms to mount to the frame rails.

Front Porch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83, 88, 90
Vehicle
Bronco II
88 have a short return on the bumper, 90 has a long return, to the wheel well

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II 2WD
My '90 has the same bumper as yours, including the plastic insert. LMC Truck has them I believe.

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
There is a difference in the frame ends from gen 1 to gen 2. 84 they 88(gen 1) have a rounded end on the frame and the stock bumper carriage bolts directly to the rounded end. 89 and 90 (2nd gen) the frame is squared off with no end. The bumper attaches with brackets on the side of the frame. The bumpers you are looking to replace with mount with a bracket affording the ability to mount on both generations. Hope this helps.
Nice ride.