•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Gas smell after driving

NewToBroncos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco ii
I recently just picked up an Eddie Bauer 85 Bii in Arizona it apparently had 40,000 miles even showed on the Carfax (curious to see if it could have been 140,000 and the website was wrong) Is in great condition when I saw it granted I don't know much. After checking it out we found it smelled like gas so the dealership said they would fix that and replaced valve gasket cover. I had the car shipped but what do you know she still smells like gas after driving.

Anyone have any idea of where I should look for the leak or what might be causing this gas smell? I don't think that it is coming from the tank or the fuel pump. All of the lines look to be in good condition, it idles fine and I get consistent power.

P.S
Interested to see what your thoughts on the value are. Interior was in phenomenal shape, virtually no rust, assuming 44,000 miles and a little bit of scratches here and there. Pretty amazing condition only the gas leak is the problem so far. If it was close to what I paid maybe I will show my girlfriend and she can get off my ass LOL

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Start at the motor and follow the fuel line back to the tank.......might be the sending unit gasket at the tank or an OLD hose leaking. Have it running (wheels chocked to prevent an accident) while you look.

Buckup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Yep, what Duffy said. Be sure to replace Both fuel filters while your under there. Did you have the dealership do the work? If so, they probably just charged you for spraying brake cleaner on your valve covers. I think prices for nice ones are are certainly going up, but the only way to know is to see what they are selling for, so go find another one with low miles.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Seems any Bronco these days is worth what someone is willing to pay to own it. The market is just crazy right now for these old trucks.

It's hard to say what it's worth without seeing it honestly. Even then it's supply and demand. At auction if you get two people wanting it... it could exceed your highest expectations.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
It's been over a month since the OP posted, but for anybody else looking in the future.
  • Gas cap
  • Gas filler neck can dry out and leak. Mine leaked on the frame rail and never made a puddle. It would only leak while driving as gas would slosh into the filler neck.
  • I had the lock the ring on my tank flatten out and would not seal. I found this out the hard way. Paid a shop to replace the tank and they reused the old lock ring instead of the new one that I gave them. You can reach up there and run your finger around and see if you pick up any gas.
  • There is a vent on the top of the tank, that grommet can dry rot. Been there too.
  • It could be running rich or somebody has gutted/removed the catalytic converter(s). Yep previous owner did that to mine, every time I fired it up in the garage it would choke me out.