•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Gear ratio?

SportyBob352

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I recently purchased a 1986 Eddie Bauer Bronco ll 4X4. The previous owner had a 4.5” Rough Cuntry lift installed, with 33” tires. The shifting points are off in the transmission. I would like to know we’re I can run the numbers on the tag, to get the actual gears in my specific axle.

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
Bob

What does the door jam sticker show for the axel code? My B2 is a 1990 auto and my axle code shows D4 which in my case is a 3:73 slip limited (Ford calls it a slip limited not a limited slip). The code 3SL 7375 means 3 slip limited 73 or 3:73. And the rear tag which shows it was made on Jan 4th 1990 and the code S605H

S=Sterling plant

605=Model 28 axle splines

H= Revision ID L code

So yes you can break it down based on the axle code. Hope this helps

Dennis

Last edited:

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Some tags have the ration on them. That doesn't mean the previous owner did not do a gear swap.

Jack it up, mark the driveshaft and the tire. Turn the tire one full rotation and count how many times the driveshaft turns. That will get you real close. ds# to 1, example if the driveshaft just bit over 4 turns then you have 4.1 turns to 1 or 4.10's.

Another way is to use a GPS to get your actual mph and then drive it and check what mph for what rpm in what gear against a gearing chart. You can google search for a gearing chart and the gear ratios of your transmission.