•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Getting Ready to do a 4.0 swap, questions.

jmburton1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ok so I found a deal on a 4.0 from a 93 ranger with 120k includes wiring harness, chassis harness, ecu, and rebuilt a4ld (which i dont need). i have an 89 with the m5 trans. anyway i was wondering what else i will need and if there is anything i should be wary of. i know i will need a 4.0 rad but what else. also if anyone needs a rebuilt a4 ill have one for sale before long, located in central south carolina

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Dude. I live in Lexington, where you at?

Sent from my Casio G'zOne Commando 4G, it's the John Connor of Smartphones. You cannot kill it...

Using Tapatalk.

jmburton1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Batesburg-Leesville man lol do you have any idea if the ecu and harness will work for me since its from an automatic and going into a manual

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I think it will, the tech article says it will, but I'm not sure. I'm doing the A4LD to FM146 swap myself right now.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
The computer will just try to control an automatic that's not there. Should be fine.

jmburton1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
nice, if i can find out for sure im gonna get it, just dont wanna drive up to due west and spend 600 bucks if it wont work

jmburton1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
ok thats good news, since im getting the freshly rebuilt a4 with receipts would it be worth it to swap in the automatic or stick with the manual

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
ok thats good news, since im getting the freshly rebuilt a4 with receipts would it be worth it to swap in the automatic or stick with the manual
Oooohhhh, that's a tough question...personally, I've gotten used to the stick in mine and it throws me some power that the auto wouldn't have, but it would be so nice to not have to look down, drink a coffee and try to shift...

Wow, if I were getting it all at once I would probably throw the auto in as well...or I would stick with the stick...man, that's a tough call...

Probably stick with the stick for me but it would be so tempting to not put that auto in it...

& I'm in the Upstate by the way!

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
Id use he m50d. If you do use the auto get a cooler there like 80$. Sell the auto.

jmburton1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i probably will wind up just selling the auto, what else will i need besides just the harness engine and radiator. should i put in a 4.0 clutch or what

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Yes. I asked that in another thread and the unanimous decision was that if the trans is out, put in a 4.0 clutch.

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Yes, def. If you keep the stick ( *hitloads of fun, by the way!!!!) you "will" want the 4.0 clutch upgrade. I have a 93 Explorer 4.0 that I swapped into my 84 BII. I <really> should have used a 4.0 clutch, as I can override the 2.8 clutch pretty easily from a stand still. You can take the ECU harness and peel it down to simply what the ECU needs, and save yourself ALOT of unneeded hassle, weight and wasted time. I ended up with 2 relays, 2 fuses, and 1 diode, added the circuit for the fuel pump/inertia switch and said "get it". I also have been running the 2.8, single core radiator for over 2 years with NO cooling issues in high 90*s temps. Just make damn sure to use a fan shroud.

jmburton1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
hmm im interested in stripping it down, my only issue is i have power windows and locks is that gonna be a big problem, also i may keep the 2.9 rad for a bit just to keep cost down since im in college and money is kinda tight

jmburton1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
oh bushman how much did your 4.0 clutch cost you

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Nope, no trouble at all. The harness ends up being a "stand alone" this way. simply needs power "key on", like the old set up. you leave your existing wiring alone.

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
oh bushman how much did your 4.0 clutch cost you
The 4.0 clutch itself is about $100 from Rockauto. But since I'm doing the swap to what was an automatic 2.9, I also have to order the flywheel and such too.

In order to do the conversion, you'll need a manual 4.0 starter, the tin plate that covers the front lip of the bellhousing, and the starter to solenoid wiring harness from the donor 4.0. There's a detailed tech article about it on here.

I got my starter, plate, and harness from Corder's junkyard down on Pond Branch road for about $60.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ranger harness is easier to do than Explorer harness.

jmburton1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
no of anyone whos done it and has a build thread, its from a 93 ranger if it matters, i just wanna make sure i can handle this with being in college and stuff i stay kinda busy so just wanna be sure its not gonna be too much of an ordeal