•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Gonna lift, need drive shafts?

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Im putting a 4" lift into my bronco II, and I am trying to figure out my best option for the driveshafts, which leaves me with a few questions.

Lets start with the front...

1a) Will the stock B2 front shaft hold up to 4" of lift? What about 6" (thats the next step, when I have a few more bucks)

2a) At some point, Im doing a d35 swap. Do I need a new driveshaft at that point? If so, what are my options?

3a) Im also planning a 4.0 swap eventually - ideally I want to get a working 4.0 Explorer from 93-94 as a donor vehicle and swap everything over... Would everything work in the front (Driveshaft length, specifically) with the new transfer case and axle?

(I ask that as two separate questions 'cause Im really not sure if I can afford a whole donor car, or if I will just be buying it piece by piece as I build the truck up.)

Now onto the rear shaft... I have a CV shaft, so I know it needs to be replaced.

From what I have read around here, if I can find a u-joint style shaft in a B2, it'll fit and be good for 4" lift.

1b) I have an automatic from 89, so I need anything with an a4ld auto, or an 89-90 Manual right? (the old toyo trannies and the FM145 are both 2" shorter than the a4ld and fm146/m5od right?)

2b) Are these long enough for 6" of lift?

3b) If that shaft isn't enough for a 6" lift, are the slightly longer ones from the toyo or FM145 trannies a possible option?

4b) How does an 8.8 effect drive shaft? Different connection? different length?

If there is anything I didn't ask, please bring it to my attention.

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Im putting a 4" lift into my bronco II, and I am trying to figure out my best option for the driveshafts, which leaves me with a few questions.

Lets start with the front...

1a) Will the stock B2 front shaft hold up to 4" of lift? What about 6" (thats the next step, when I have a few more bucks) Yes, probably not 6. I have the 4" RC lift on my B2

2a) At some point, Im doing a d35 swap. Do I need a new driveshaft at that point? If so, what are my options?Yes, You will need to shorten your current one with the 1350. No if you install a 1354

3a) Im also planning a 4.0 swap eventually - ideally I want to get a working 4.0 Explorer from 93-94 as a donor vehicle and swap everything over... Would everything work in the front (Driveshaft length, specifically) with the new transfer case and axle? Yes

(I ask that as two separate questions 'cause Im really not sure if I can afford a whole donor car, or if I will just be buying it piece by piece as I build the truck up.) A donor can be found with a bad tranny for around 500 a lot of times

Now onto the rear shaft... I have a CV shaft, so I know it needs to be replaced.You can buy one for 3-400 bucks or you can build one for less than 200. I've done a write up on it.

From what I have read around here, if I can find a u-joint style shaft in a B2, it'll fit and be good for 4" lift.

1b) I have an automatic from 89, so I need anything with an a4ld auto, or an 89-90 Manual right? (the old toyo trannies and the FM145 are both 2" shorter than the a4ld and fm146/m5od right?)yes

2b) Are these long enough for 6" of lift?
Probably not
3b) If that shaft isn't enough for a 6" lift, are the slightly longer ones from the toyo or FM145 trannies a possible option?Maybe

4b) How does an 8.8 effect drive shaft? Different connection? different length? Not sure

If there is anything I didn't ask, please bring it to my attention.
That should cover it

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
if you decide to.. you can always use a 4wd explorer rear shaft and have it shortened down to fit what you need. I did this PLUS rebuilding it for $100 total. That's a JY shaft, shortened and balanced, new joints, and paint.

natmanjoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
+1 on the jy shaft. Cheap and effective. Did this too.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I regards to point 1b. You can use anything 88+. 88 MY switched to the FM146 trans which was longer than the previously used FM145. The FM146 matches the M5OD and A4LD in length close enough to interchange drive shafts.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
JY shaft definitely seems the way to go for now to get it up and running...

I guess it now comes down to whether I can find something that'll be long enough for a 6" lift down the road, while still working with the 4" lift now.

Does anyone know if the 8.8 makes any difference here? Like, if I do an 8.8 swap at the same time as my 6" lift, will it make up some (or all) of the difference I would need for the bigger lift?

Would the longer driveshafts from a FM145 ect be too long for a 4" lift? what about a 6" lift? Anyone know how one of these compare in length to a Explorer front shaft? (Heard some info about people using them with a bit of modification...?)

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Yeah you're best off using an Explorer front driveshaft as your rear. This makes a great way to get a double-cardan shaft real cheap. It will need be shortened 1-2" however since you have the A4LD, but that'll cost far less than the $400 you'd pay for a quality all-new one.
You'll need to swap your rear t-case output flange for a 1354 front output yoke, and you'll need the attaching rear flange for the axle's pinion flange (can be had off a '90s Ranger rear driveshaft).

The 8.8" has a larger pinion flange than the stock 7.5" (larger bolt-circle, same-size centering pilot). You'll probably want to plan your 8.8" swap together with your driveshaft swap.

natmanjoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
I think what you're asking is length of driveshaft from 7.5 to 8.8 being different. Mine wasn't a different length. D28 to d35 lengths are different.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The 8.8" has a larger pinion flange than the stock 7.5" (larger bolt-circle, same-size centering pilot). You'll probably want to plan your 8.8" swap together with your driveshaft swap.
Not an option - I need a new Driveshaft *now* because of the lift, and currently existing CV shaft.

So I will be looking for a U-joint stock-length replacement shaft for the 4" lift, and maybe plan on replacing that with an explorer front shaft when I bump it up to 6", which would be a good time to also do the 8.8 swap.

Does anyone have measurements for their driveshafts of various lengths/applications? Im curious as to how much difference there is in length from people running a 3-4" lift (stock length) vs a 6+" lift (longer than stock) and how does this work with up-travel? Does the longer driveshaft also require a longer splined slip-shaft or whatever its called?

ACE42

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
it aint broke dont fix it
what year exploder drive shafts will fit. doing a 4 inch lift on an 88