•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Grinding noise coming from the front?

Johnny Red

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Hey all, I'm new, and I'm not sure where this goes but I hope it's in the right place. If not, please help me so I'll know what to do in the future. I put it in the Axle section because that's what I've been told that it is.

I just got a 1989 Bronco II. Bone stock with the Mitsubishi FM-146 trans, BW 1350 electric shift, and Dana 28 front axle I believe, if I've done my research right. I love it. Best truck I've owned and cool to boot. But I'm having this weird issue. The electric 4x4 and electric low range work great, but at around 2000 rpm in any gear it makes this grinding noise up front. I've had a few people tell me that it sounds like the 4X4 is trying to kick in, but It's got me confused. Even in 4X4 if makes this noise, it clearly sounds like it's coming from the front area of the truck, and it does it only at around up-shifting rpm @ around 2500-3000 ish, and in every gear. I can lug it in fourth and no noise, but when I get to shifting range in any gear, it makes a terrible grinding noise and I haven't the foggiest idea of what it could be. Has anyone encountered this or maybe something similar? It does it before i press the clutch or or anything.

I'm new to this forum and forums in general, I've never joined one and never posted or anything, just kinda lurked at some random car forums here and there. If this is in the wrong spot or anything, please let me know and I will fix it if I can figure out how.

Johnny Red

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I found the Bronco II section. I posted it over there, but I don't know If I can delete this one. I'll be honest with you, I'm kinda retarded lol.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
My 88 Bronco 2 makes a grinding/growling noise up front when in 4WD too, not nearly as bad as it used to now that I've been using the 4WD more lately. May be bearings in the differential would be my guess. Mine doesn't make noise in 2WD though...in your case maybe the throw-out bearing could be the culprit, my Bronco 2 is an automatic.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Mine only makes noise with the hubs locked in.......just using 4x4 with out the hubs locked is quiet (manual hubs).

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Mine only makes noise with the hubs locked in.......just using 4x4 with out the hubs locked is quiet (manual hubs).
Bearings maybe growling/grinding under load? Only thing I can really think of. Mine is the same way, if I engage 4WD with the hubs unlocked there's no noise as there isn't any load on the front bearings its just the driveshaft and front 1/2 shafts spinning without any connection to the wheel hubs at that point. So I wonder if we have bearing issues....although the noise in mine has subsided quite a bit with quite a bit of recent 4WD use, maybe everything up front just needed a good lubrication. I rarely have used the 4WD up till recently. I've been taking it up in the hills on backroads this winter quite a bit so its been in 4WD pretty frequently, then last week we got 10 inches of snow so it was in 4WD a couple times then as well.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
One of the hubs wasn't "locking" (too much grease in there), cleaned it up and used a small file to "fix" the buggers on the teeth. Works good now and no noise.