•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Heater core keeps stopping up......

sweetwaterbroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Any idea on how to keep my heater core from stopping up? I've flushed my cooling system, but every 1-2 weeks, the heater core keep stopping up leaving me with no heat....after I remover the heater hoses and flush them with a water hose it works fine for 1-2 weeks.....any suggestions?

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
I would just replace the heater core and the hoses leading to it.

Sounds to me like there is quite a bit of build up/corrosion in your cooling system.

Have you put new coolant in it recently?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Reverse-flush the cooling system while you're in there. Pull the heater outlet hose off the intake manifold (NOT the water pump!), cap the nipple, shove a garden hose into the heater hose, remove the rad cap, and blast away until the water runs clear.

You can try one of those chemical flushes if you want.

If you've ever put stop-leak in this thing, that could very easily be what the problem is.

sweetwaterbroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I just had an engine put in it and the mechanic put new coolant in then, then I flushed it out and put new coolant in again....I think the engine I bought was rusty inside, the coolant keeps turning a rust color....

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
flush the heck out of it. reverse flush, then forward flush, then reverse again.

then once you get as much out that way as you can, run a chemical flush through it. the stuff i swear by is made by Mac's sold by napa. it comes in a blue bottle and is a POWDER, not a liquid. the results are nothing short of a miracle.

Mutant Pony

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
It sounds to me like someone put Bars leak in the motor before you got it. I had the same problem. I put in a new heater core, after flushing several times, and the new core plugged in about a week. Your best bet would be to pull the core plugs while you are doing a back flush. Just a flush will not remove the stuff in the bottom of the block.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Oooh, THAT'S a lot of work.

It's hard (perhaps impossible) to yank and replace a core plug on an installed engine. Not too hard if it's on a stand, though.

Some folks REALLY overuse the Barr's. I won't touch the stuff. Not after having seen a 2.9L head gasket....